NO TREASURE, BUT A MUST READ POST: HORROR STORY OF A TICK AND EHRLICHIOSIS

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Man,glad you sought help in time.The dangers of woods and field hunting in tick country are very real and dangerous to your health and life.Permethrin is the only real protection to ticks,always use if you hunt and consider are the risks worth it to you and your family if you hunt in tick areas.

danimal03

Feb 13, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 years ago I got Southern Tick associated rash illness AKA STARI. I was so tired I could barely move. It took a long time to figure out what it was. They are unsure what the exact bacteria is in the tick bite that causes it; that is how little is known about it. But it is caused by the 'lone star'tick. So named for what looks like a white star on its back. I still suffer from bouts of extreme fatigue that I believe is from the original bite. Ticks are one of the nastiness creatures.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you mend well!
As a kid, my family spent our summers in the mountains of W.Va. I remember my mother checking me nightly for ticks. One nite a tick was found burrowed head deep in my leg. My dad lit a match, blew it out and touched the tick w the hot match end. It backed out, luckily. Think I was 7 or 8 and still remember it like yesterday.
Be well...
Peace

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hospital serology lab just called, blood work done at the ER last Thursday came back POSITIVE for Ehrlichiosis. so 1 tick carried that plus LYME and ANAPLASMA. 3 bacteria, all treated with Doxycycline. surprised the little prick wasn't packing Ebola and AIDS too!!!!!

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
15 years ago I contacted Lymes through a tick...Started having extreme pain in my joints so I went to the doctor who told me the flu. A few days later could not walk without serious pain in the bottoms of my feet, could not bend any joints including fingers. got on the old interweb and figured out lymes. got antibiotics from doctor. took me 6 weeks to recover which included wearing braces on both wrists for several weeks and my job was using computers..learned how to type pretty fast using 1 finger..lol

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you were aware enough to call the doctor!
I had been beach hunting for three days in a row and I noticed a small thing right on the
tip of my small toe. It reminded me of a round seashell stuck on the tip. I thought wth is this?
I ripped it off and in the center was a red dot!
After tearing most of it off my toe I immediately soaked it in apple cider vinegar and bandaged it up.
My wife helped soak and bandage it several more times with the vinegar!
No problems it went away!
I was freaked out as it looked like some sea creature about the size of a Q-Tip had bored it's way into and onto my toe!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread