Noble Dwyer

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anybody have any information, historical or recent, about Noble Dwyer. He was born in 1912 and died in the mid to late 1980's. He was associated with the Latin Heart. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Hi Greg,

May I ask what leads you to say that Noble Dwyer was associated with the Latin Heart? The discovery of the Latin Heart has been credited to a man by the name of Jacob Alexander (page 339 of "Treasure Tales of the Superstitions" by Dr. Thomas Glover). Jacob claimed to have found it lying on top of the ground.

Sentinel

Jan 5, 2007
Does anybody have any information, historical or recent, about Noble Dwyer. He was born in 1912 and died in the mid to late 1980's. He was associated with the Latin Heart. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
I told you about this years ago Greg, but I will share it here. While working on the meter deployment team years ago, I came up on a property off the beaten path where there were barrels for catching water and a bunch of misc. junk strewn about the front yard. The house was small and more of a shack and it sat on an acre or two hidden away off the main road. A guy who looked like he was in his 90s came out and introduced himself as Brethauer or something like that. He asked if I wanted a tour of the property and I said why not. As we walked around I noticed a lot of stuff I had seen in old books on the history of Phoenix. He had that fountain thing that looked like a space ship from the old city of Phoenix pool sitting out back and a number of old signs from various banks and stuff. He told me that his family had done demo work around Phoenix and he kept all the interesting stuff.

There was an old Donofrios neon sign in one out building. It was a bit overwhelming of how much stuff was laying around. Of course I took tons of pictures as we talked. I think he was pretty pleased that I was into all this stuff.

Anyhow, eventually we came to a spot and there was a large tarp spread over a pile of rocks. He told me to pull back the tarp and said that it was ore from the Lost Dutchman mine. I normally might have blown that off but he said it was from Four peaks area and that it came from Noble Dwyer. I asked him why it was just laying there and he said he had no use for it. I visited a number of times and gave the historical society of Arizona and you his address, figuring someone would make sure that stuff was saved. I have no idea what happened. His wife was in hospice when I visited him and he wasn't very healthy at the time. I will look for the pictures, I have them saved to disc at the house.

Anyhow I spoke to Tom about him and he seemed to know him, so I figured it was all in good hands and someone would check on that stuff. The property now has condos on it and everything is gone.

There were huge pieces of petrified wood out front and stair railings, staircases, bottle collections and carved stone signage. That Donofrios sign though was so cool. He told me the history books were wrong about Donofrios location and told me to go to this old buliding on 7th ave. I went and found in the back a section where it still partially said Donofrios.

The Noble Dwyer bit had a lot more to it, but he was all over the place when he talked and I had a hard time following.

He offered me a piece of that ore and I always figured I could grab it at a later date. I regret that now.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Greg,

May I ask what leads you to say that Noble Dwyer was associated with the Latin Heart? The discovery of the Latin Heart has been credited to a man by the name of Jacob Alexander (page 339 of "Treasure Tales of the Superstitions" by Dr. Thomas Glover). Jacob claimed to have found it lying on top of the ground.
Good morning deducer. Noble was very much interested in the Latin Heart. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told you about this years ago Greg, but I will share it here. While working on the meter deployment team years ago, I came up on a property off the beaten path where there were barrels for catching water and a bunch of misc. junk strewn about the front yard. The house was small and more of a shack and it sat on an acre or two hidden away off the main road. A guy who looked like he was in his 90s came out and introduced himself as Brethauer or something like that. He asked if I wanted a tour of the property and I said why not. As we walked around I noticed a lot of stuff I had seen in old books on the history of Phoenix. He had that fountain thing that looked like a space ship from the old city of Phoenix pool sitting out back and a number of old signs from various banks and stuff. He told me that his family had done demo work around Phoenix and he kept all the interesting stuff.

There was an old Donofrios neon sign in one out building. It was a bit overwhelming of how much stuff was laying around. Of course I took tons of pictures as we talked. I think he was pretty pleased that I was into all this stuff.

Anyhow, eventually we came to a spot and there was a large tarp spread over a pile of rocks. He told me to pull back the tarp and said that it was ore from the Lost Dutchman mine. I normally might have blown that off but he said it was from Four peaks area and that it came from Noble Dwyer. I asked him why it was just laying there and he said he had no use for it. I visited a number of times and gave the historical society of Arizona and you his address, figuring someone would make sure that stuff was saved. I have no idea what happened. His wife was in hospice when I visited him and he wasn't very healthy at the time. I will look for the pictures, I have them saved to disc at the house.

Anyhow I spoke to Tom about him and he seemed to know him, so I figured it was all in good hands and someone would check on that stuff. The property now has condos on it and everything is gone.

There were huge pieces of petrified wood out front and stair railings, staircases, bottle collections and carved stone signage. That Donofrios sign though was so cool. He told me the history books were wrong about Donofrios location and told me to go to this old buliding on 7th ave. I went and found in the back a section where it still partially said Donofrios.

The Noble Dwyer bit had a lot more to it, but he was all over the place when he talked and I had a hard time following.

He offered me a piece of that ore and I always figured I could grab it at a later date. I regret that now.
Good morning Sentinel: Thank you for sharing that story with the readers at this site. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning deducer. Noble was very much interested in the Latin Heart. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Can you please elaborate on that? I didn't know that he was also aware of the Latin Heart at the time it was found.

As I understand it, awareness of the Latin Heart only spread after it was destroyed by Bill Hidden.

i am the horse

Apr 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So a pile of rocks can be believed to be ore from the LDM? Guess I will go and make a matchbox from a nice rock/LDM ore. . SMH

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice. Did he happen to mention which Four peaks?

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
So a pile of rocks can be believed to be ore from the LDM? Guess I will go and make a matchbox from a nice rock/LDM ore. . SMH
Don't shake that head too hard, something could roll out of your ear.:BangHead:

Most independent, small-time miners usually store their ore somewhere where someone has eyes on it. Preferably somewhere out of the way, like a buddy who doesn't have any close neighbors.

If you're dumb enough to go through all the trouble of digging out ore and leaving it unattended at your claim, or an old mine you decided to work...well, most likely you'd come back and find your ore pile gone...I've seen this happen many times. Lots of folks out roaming the desert are flat-out thieves, anything they see that's not bolted down is fair game. Even some stuff that's bolted down gets ripped off...if it's on your claim, they don't care...they'll steal everything that can be picked up and probably leave a bunch of empties for you to pick up.

I can't count the number of people I know that have piles of material, or some type of ore piled up on their property. It's how it's done. For someone like Noble, who lived in a motor home on a rented space, it makes sense to store ore with a trusted friend who has some property... and a wife who doesn't care :icon_thumleft:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please elaborate on that? I didn't know that he was also aware of the Latin Heart at the time it was found.

As I understand it, awareness of the Latin Heart only spread after it was destroyed by Bill Hidden.
deducer,

I do not believe it was Jacob Alexander who found the Latin Heart.
The LH I believe was always in the possession of Bill Hidden.

In 1981 - 1983 Hidden still had his camp in the Superstitions where Whiskey Spring canyon and LaBarge meet. He filed a mining claim there in December of 83 and may have been his Latin Heart area.

Hidden and Charlie Miller were involved with the discovery and after talking with Al Reser I believe as Al did that Bill Hidden and Charlie Miller were one and the same person, Charlie Miller being an alias of Hidden.

Noble Dwyer was involved with Hidden/Miller and had a paper drawn copy of the Latin Heart markings on both sides of the heart. The drawings that appeared in Bob Ward's book, Ripples of Lost Echoes, was missing several of the markings. The paper copy Dwyer possessed had all the markings and I believe Al Reser got his copy from Dwyer or maybe was the other way around.

Noble Dwyer died in a fire in his motor home along the highway over in Texas around 1985. Clay Worst went over to get Dwyer's ashes and was able to recover some of Noble's things.
1030210918a~2.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deducer,

In 1981 - 1983 Hidden still had his camp in the Superstitions where Whiskey Spring canyon and LaBarge meet. He filed a mining claim there in December of 83 and may have been his Latin Heart area.

Hidden and Charlie Miller were involved with the discovery and after talking with Al Reser I believe as Al did that Bill Hidden and Charlie Miller were one and the same person, Charlie Miller being an alias of Hidden.

Noble Dwyer was involved with Hidden/Miller and had a paper drawn copy of the Latin Heart markings on both sides of the heart. The drawings that appeared in Bob Ward's book, Ripples of Lost Echoes, was missing several of the markings. The paper copy Dwyer possessed had all the markings and I believe Al Reser got his copy from Dwyer or maybe was the other way around.

Noble Dwyer died in a fire in his motor home along the highway over in Texas around 1985. Clay Worst went over to get Dwyer's ashes and was able to recover some of Noble's things.
View attachment 2138465
Good morning gentlemen: I must admit that I apparently got the Latin Heart mixed up with Noble Dwyer's interest in the Stone Maps. My mistake. Thanks to all of you for setting the record straight. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

i am the horse

Apr 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't shake that head too hard, something could roll out of your ear.:BangHead:

Most independent, small-time miners usually store their ore somewhere where someone has eyes on it. Preferably somewhere out of the way, like a buddy who doesn't have any close neighbors.

If you're dumb enough to go through all the trouble of digging out ore and leaving it unattended at your claim, or an old mine you decided to work...well, most likely you'd come back and find your ore pile gone...I've seen this happen many times. Lots of folks out roaming the desert are flat-out thieves, anything they see that's not bolted down is fair game. Even some stuff that's bolted down gets ripped off...if it's on your claim, they don't care...they'll steal everything that can be picked up and probably leave a bunch of empties for you to pick up.

I can't count the number of people I know that have piles of material, or some type of ore piled up on their property. It's how it's done. For someone like Noble, who lived in a motor home on a rented space, it makes sense to store ore with a trusted friend who has some property... and a wife who doesn't care :icon_thumleft:
Guess I will just wait for the pictures of the ore/rocks to pop up on here. Probably be all out of focus and blurry. Like most of the pics on here. SMH.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
deducer,

View attachment 2138465

In Glover's book, he recounts the tale as told to him by Al Reser (with the disclaimer that at the time he was told, he didn't take notes, not being a Stone Maps aficionado). The tale is as follows: Al Reser began hearing rumors of a Latin Heart and tracked it down to a Bill Hidden. Al befriended Bill and learned from Bill that the finder was a Jacob Alexander who had gone back to the area where Travis Tumlinson was said to have found the Stone Maps, and did a much more comprehensive search and covered a broader area. He was said to have found the Latin Heart simply lying on the ground.

Al also mentioned that Bill Hidden destroyed the Latin Heart after giving up on trying to solve it. Hidden had gotten so frustrated he ended up smashing it into powder. Al was fortunately able to take pictures of the heart before it got destroyed.

I am interested in knowing what you believe was Noble's role in the Stone Maps saga. Care to elaborate?

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deducer,

Yes, I am aware of the story about Jacob Alexander finding the Latin Heart and that Bill Hidden told Al Reser that Alexander was the finder.

It's just my opinion it was Bill Hidden and not Alexander. The reasons being are that Hidden used several aliases and never explained how HE happened to own the Latin Heart and how he obtained it from Alexander.
I knew Bill Hidden but never could track down Alexander or Charlie Miller for that matter as both I believe were aliases.

Hidden lived in a trailer park on Broadway in Apache Junction not far from Al Resers place on Lawson drive. He had a camp at Whiskey Spring canyon and LaBarge in the Superstitions. It is just my personal belief that Hidden found the Latin Heart and used the name of Alexander as the founder to avoid having to answer specific questions about the discovery.

Noble Dwyer believed the Latin Heart fit in the Heart cavity on one of the Tumlinson Stone Maps. Dwyer was interested like many with the Tumlinson Stone Maps. Clay Worst and I sat down one time compared notes on Noble and his search. Clay went over to Texas after Noble died and was able to recover some of his things.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
deducer,

Yes, I am aware of the story about Jacob Alexander finding the Latin Heart and that Bill Hidden told Al Reser that Alexander was the finder.

It's just my opinion it was Bill Hidden and not Alexander. The reasons being are that Hidden used several aliases and never explained how HE happened to own the Latin Heart and how he obtained it from Alexander.
I knew Bill Hidden but never could track down Alexander or Charlie Miller for that matter as both I believe were aliases.

Hidden lived in a trailer park on Broadway in Apache Junction not far from Al Resers place on Lawson drive. He had a camp at Whiskey Spring canyon and LaBarge in the Superstitions. It is just my personal belief that Hidden found the Latin Heart and used the name of Alexander as the founder to avoid having to answer specific questions about the discovery.

Noble Dwyer believed the Latin Heart fit in the Heart cavity on one of the Tumlinson Stone Maps. Dwyer was interested like many with the Tumlinson Stone Maps. Clay Worst and I sat down one time compared notes on Noble and his search. Clay went over to Texas after Noble died and was able to recover some of his things.

Please find attached, an article on Bill Hidden.

hidden1.jpg hidden2.jpg

In that Bill Hidden allowed himself to be photographed and published in a newspaper, I find it highly unlikely that his name is an alias. I don't think that anyone going by an alias would allow their picture to be widely circulated for risk of being recognized.

Dejure

Nov 30, 2023
(1) I grew up in a world unique from most. Our family's idea of a vacation was, visiting ghost towns, including ones for which little evidence was left of their existence. We were deep enough into it that world, my parents [and family friends] even had an antique-bottle-rock & curio shop in Eastern Washington.

Many of our finds, including some of the best, came from stories not subscribed to by experts.

(2) I have a friend who owns several mining claims on the Yukon (big excavators, screens, dumps, etc.). As he pointed out, yeah, those are five gallon buckets with gold in unrefined ore, but, if someone steals it, where are they going to go.

(3) My first house was a bargain. It sat on the market a long time before I got it for 21k. It was a two story with a drive in basement under that. It was stucco. I could watch the ships come and go to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, and could see the Needle and Dome from across the water and to the east. It was a "too good to be true" deal. For some reason, most never bothered to look at it, because of its age (yes, it had knob-and-tube in spots.

(4) I've gotten many a killer deal at a garage sale. Often ones that others walked past all weekend. For example: a $20.00 artist easel I sold to a art school back east for $400.00; a $30.00 Hilti mag drill that needed a new micro switch I also sold for $400.00, a free pile vacuum system us woodworkers, often, are only able to dream of; a free pile oxygen machine I sold for two, and on and on).

(5) I've seen supposed experts, in many fields, prove their expertise is limited, or worse. For example, experts on the Road Show explained to a lady her glass float wasn't, because glass doesn't float, leaving me to wonder if anyone took time to warn the Navy about iron and ships.

(6) I was fortunate enough to have delved deep into law. Among other things, it helped me understand why we have not just one, as the ramblings of too many would suggest, but FIFTY-ONE constitutions. That is, our agents cannot be fully trusted, regardless what the issue is. From that, my choices kept me from making the mistake of buying into what bought public agents promoted over the years and, especially, during the past couple years.

(7) In my twenties, I was at an art show. An old man, in his nineties, stopped and visited, then asked if I'd be interested in mounting some of the paper products he had. They were publicity poster books from the days of Fred Astaire and crowd. I forgot about it, until we met again a couple years later. This time, I made the visit.

He could have made me rich, and even offered to (I passed it up for reasons). The stories he shared were amazing. The more I listened, the more obvious it was he was a goldmine of historical information. His collection habits and stories inspired me to state it was sad he didn't get into collecting comic books. He just smiled, for a moment, then motioned me to follow him. The room was JUST comic books. First addition everything and so much more.

He kept trying to show me one comic, but I was captivated by the Superman's and so on. FINALLY, I looked. IT WAS HIM.

He knew he was old, and mentioned his sister made a bee line each time he went into the hospital, hoping to capitalize on the fortune that was in that room. He offered me half to help him sell it. I passed because it was so far out of my league. Heck, the ex's would have gotten it all by now anyway.

The point of all this is, I've learned only the ignorant, fools or corrupt dismiss stories not backed by authorities, or paid PROFESSIONALS (e.g., lawbooks are replete with examples of convictions for conspiracies many would scoff at, including one about an entire Chicago circuit court declared to be a RICO enterprise),

OR

don't take the time to look into some of the "too good to be true" things they come across.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(1) I grew up in a world unique from most. Our family's idea of a vacation was, visiting ghost towns, including ones for which little evidence was left of their existence. We were deep enough into it that world, my parents [and family friends] even had an antique-bottle-rock & curio shop in Eastern Washington.

Many of our finds, including some of the best, came from stories not subscribed to by experts.

(2) I have a friend who owns several mining claims on the Yukon (big excavators, screens, dumps, etc.). As he pointed out, yeah, those are five gallon buckets with gold in unrefined ore, but, if someone steals it, where are they going to go.

(3) My first house was a bargain. It sat on the market a long time before I got it for 21k. It was a two story with a drive in basement under that. It was stucco. I could watch the ships come and go to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, and could see the Needle and Dome from across the water and to the east. It was a "too good to be true" deal. For some reason, most never bothered to look at it, because of its age (yes, it had knob-and-tube in spots.

(4) I've gotten many a killer deal at a garage sale. Often ones that others walked past all weekend. For example: a $20.00 artist easel I sold to a art school back east for $400.00; a $30.00 Hilti mag drill that needed a new micro switch I also sold for $400.00, a free pile vacuum system us woodworkers, often, are only able to dream of; a free pile oxygen machine I sold for two, and on and on).

(5) I've seen supposed experts, in many fields, prove their expertise is limited, or worse. For example, experts on the Road Show explained to a lady her glass float wasn't, because glass doesn't float, leaving me to wonder if anyone took time to warn the Navy about iron and ships.

(6) I was fortunate enough to have delved deep into law. Among other things, it helped me understand why we have not just one, as the ramblings of too many would suggest, but FIFTY-ONE constitutions. That is, our agents cannot be fully trusted, regardless what the issue is. From that, my choices kept me from making the mistake of buying into what bought public agents promoted over the years and, especially, during the past couple years.

(7) In my twenties, I was at an art show. An old man, in his nineties, stopped and visited, then asked if I'd be interested in mounting some of the paper products he had. They were publicity poster books from the days of Fred Astaire and crowd. I forgot about it, until we met again a couple years later. This time, I made the visit.

He could have made me rich, and even offered to (I passed it up for reasons). The stories he shared were amazing. The more I listened, the more obvious it was he was a goldmine of historical information. His collection habits and stories inspired me to state it was sad he didn't get into collecting comic books. He just smiled, for a moment, then motioned me to follow him. The room was JUST comic books. First addition everything and so much more.

He kept trying to show me one comic, but I was captivated by the Superman's and so on. FINALLY, I looked. IT WAS HIM.

He knew he was old, and mentioned his sister made a bee line each time he went into the hospital, hoping to capitalize on the fortune that was in that room. He offered me half to help him sell it. I passed because it was so far out of my league. Heck, the ex's would have gotten it all by now anyway.

The point of all this is, I've learned only the ignorant, fools or corrupt dismiss stories not backed by authorities, or paid PROFESSIONALS (e.g., lawbooks are replete with examples of convictions for conspiracies many would scoff at, including one about an entire Chicago circuit court declared to be a RICO enterprise),

OR

don't take the time to look into some of the "too good to be true" things they come across.
Sir: What does this have to do with this post on Noble Dwyer? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Dejure

Nov 30, 2023
Sir: What does this have to do with this post on Noble Dwyer? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Maybe you're over thinking my post (a forest for the trees thing?).

Everything we hear about Noble Dwyer, the Lost Dutchman's Mine and so on is true, or it's false. It may be no one here knows the relative truths, or it may be one or two do know at least some. Or it may be those who think they know something based on research they've done relied on tainted information.

If some say a said thing is false, should we not look into it at all anymore? Whose word do we take about a given thing?

Years ago, I was told, by someone years my senior and who did a LITTLE bottle hunting, there were no more old bottles to be found. In his mind, every homestead, outhouse and dump had been found. I didn't bother arguing. Just like I didn't argue with the foolish your electrical engineer who told me everything about electricity had been discovered (apparently, the word theory, in electrical theory, eluded him).

The point is, as I already pointed out, don't outright dismiss things said by those you may presume are less knowledgeable than you.

For example, I worked with engineers at Keyport, Washington (Naval Torpedo Station). Their knowledge dwarfed mine (I was just a little lower than whale doo doo on the food chain), BUT they listened when I told them they needed to look at something. They knew book knowledge improved when you tweaked it with the knowledge of those actually using the stuff they designed and built.

Geoffnotjeff

Nov 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont trust the experts, they all say the mine is in the superstitions. I have read some obscure blogs and YT videos talking about other locations, or how it couldn't possibly be located within those very special mountains.

Would those engineers have listened to you if you spoke about putting pool noodles on the fins to create neutral buoyancy? Its all relative.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont trust the experts, they all say the mine is in the superstitions. I have read some obscure blogs and YT videos talking about other locations, or how it couldn't possibly be located within those very special mountains.

Would those engineers have listened to you if you spoke about putting pool noodles on the fins to create neutral buoyancy? Its all relative.
OK. Lets get back to the issue of this Thread. That being about Noble Dwyer. Greg Davis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread