Non MD find - Brass What's it? Electrical? Plumbing?

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Picked this up at an estate sale. Nothing else at the sale would suggest, or lead me to conclude it's use. All but the center shaft is made of Brass. The three prong spaceship looking piece is spring loaded with the very end, with a fairly strong Spring. The other end is hinged, and slides back and forth easily. This end is "barbed" in such a way, it suggests they are inserted, expanded, and then used to pull something out??

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo-16.JPG
    photo-16.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 227
  • photo-21.JPG
    photo-21.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 180
  • photo-20.JPG
    photo-20.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 144
  • photo-19.JPG
    photo-19.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 160

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Specialized slide hammer puller?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
That crossed my mind. I visualized an automotive dent puller. But seems a little obtuse to have the three fins. Thanks for chiming in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Possibly. The "arms" spin freely though. So you would have to spin them manually, probably at that collar, which has two flat sides. Possibly for an adjustable wrench, etc. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Batch

Apr 18, 2004
Kusel County
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

For some reason a steam engine (or other motor) governor comes to mind. The large rounded end - does it look as if it maybe rotated in a bearing? If possible, could you post a short video of how it moves? How "friction free" does it move? Do the serrations on the "tongs" (or arms) seem to have wear marks from having "grabbed onto" something? If held vertical and spun by the fins do the arms rotate and seem to spread out? The brass does suggest a need for corrosion resistance. Sorry for all the questions but am just trying to gather info. This will be a fun one!

Respectfully,

Batch

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Batch, like your line of thinking. I wasn't ever comfortable with it being a stand alone hand tool of sorts. And it definitely has a Train or Steam engine vibe. I'll try to video it, but I'm not too handy at tech. For now, let me offer a few more details. The tongs slide back and forth freely, approx 2 1/2". No bearings. The thin block at the end of the center rod keeps the tongs from spinning. Only light wear on the barbs. Which are definitely uni directional. Much like a saw blade. They 'barb' in the direction of pulling the tongs back in. The bulb at the other end is stationary with the center rod. The rocket ship part spins, and is spring loaded against the bulb. Rather stiff, moving just a little better than an inch. My guess is no bearings in there either. Just slightly tight tolerances.
Thanks for showing interest.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first thing that pops into my mind is that this is a sleeve puller for an engine cylinder.

Of course, the first that pops into my mind is quite often WRONG!

Interesting gadget -- I'll be watching this thread for sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Bump now that some of you are froze. Asked a few mechanical minded people, but no closer to solving it. Any ideas?.......

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the rod is threaded? If you hold the two arms and spin the end does it cause them to spread? To me it looks like some sort of anchoring system maybe, but that's probably not what it is just from the size of it....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Ken,
The small rod is threaded, just at the end. It appears just for disassembly. The arms don't have to spin in order to slide/open. However, I'm now thinking the thicker flat sided area at the base end of the arms suggests that an adjustable wrench could be used to spin the arms. I would be more comfortable with this theory if the barbs were slightly angled (like threads), rather than straight. Though, the spring loaded end could force the arms in deeper........ Now I'm back to it being some sort of pulling device, much like a dent puller. Just don't understand the Johnny Socko robot style end?

On another note, I don't get out, or post much these days, but I vaguely remember crossing posting paths with you years back. My wife is from Pekin, as well as you, if memory serves.

"Kill the body, and the head will die..... "

Regards,
Julian

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken,
The small rod is threaded, just at the end. It appears just for disassembly. The arms don't have to spin in order to slide/open. However, I'm now thinking the thicker flat sided area at the base end of the arms suggests that an adjustable wrench could be used to spin the arms. I would be more comfortable with this theory if the barbs were slightly angled (like threads), rather than straight. Though, the spring loaded end could force the arms in deeper........ Now I'm back to it being some sort of pulling device, much like a dent puller. Just don't understand the Johnny Socko robot style end?

On another note, I don't get out, or post much these days, but I vaguely remember crossing posting paths with you years back. My wife is from Pekin, as well as you, if memory serves.

"Kill the body, and the head will die..... "

Regards,
Julian

Ah, yeah, Pekin Il that's me.... This thing is odd for sure but I can't help but think I've seen something really similar to it somewhere...

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is definitely a slide hammer puller, the fact that it’s brass suggests that it’s used either in water ( so it doesn’t rust ) or used around something flammable or explosive ( so it doesn’t make sparks ) It doesn’t look like it had any hard usage. Maybe its one of those “gimmick “ tools like the robogrip or the electric hammer.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's for picking up finds that your not sure what they are before you touch it lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Bruce,
I like the no corrosion/no sparks angle. And I agree. It's not been used much, if at all. Barbs are sharp, and undamaged. I also agree it's some sort of slide hammer. Though in this case, the hammer effect "pushes" rather than pulls.
Happy Holidays,
Jules

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It must be a bearing or seal puller. Maybe a specialty tool from a now defunct auto maker. Here is a pic of a puller for a Ford tractor trans.

surbld32.jpg

Not exactly the same but you get the idea...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
It must be a bearing or seal puller. Maybe a specialty tool from a now defunct auto maker. Here is a pic of a puller for a Ford tractor trans.

View attachment 1531681

Not exactly the same but you get the idea...

Agreed. I think we've basically narrowed it down. Would be neat to know it's exact application though. You know. In case it's a muffler bearing puller on one of the Apollo Space missions..... :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread