• DSC00029.JPG
    DSC00029.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,104
Upvote 0

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
Not as good as gold, but at least as good as silver (and they taste better)! :wav:

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
...and wouldn't you know.. the first one I found this year... was under my foot... :-(

MonkeyBoy

Huntn FireH2o

Feb 24, 2008
Wichita KS. U.S.A
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Garrett Treasure Ace 300
KS, Very nice my wife loves those things, some say the ugly they are the better they taste. She gross out when I eat deer heart and onions. Bone- appa- tet -Mona -me. GOD BLESS Huntn

capy325

Apr 9, 2008
Grew up in Ohio and "hunted" shrooms for 40 years! Moved to Georgia 4 years ago and haven't got to hunt them since. I gotta agree that's a fine find!

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
I used to hunt certain species of edible wild mushrooms avidly, and will still pick those I know to be tasty whenever I encounter them. Finding morels is a joy because of their distinctive appearance, but in all candor I never found them to be especially tasty, and for this reason I now let them be, preferring to admire them in the field. I have eaten them sauteed in butter, with and without the recommendation (made by a French chef) to add a bit of lemon juice to them. Whether dried or fresh from the apple orchard or woods (where they are most likely to be found), I have always found them to be tasteless, and their texture rather unpleasantly rubbery. I'm much more enthusiastic about the taste of chanterelles, horse mushrooms, and a few other species. Many edible wild mushrooms, despite being highly touted for their flavor, are actually very bland (they are often described euphemistically, and more than a little disingenuously, as having a "delicate" flavor). In any event, I do love to find the mysterious morel. If anyone has a recipe that might make me revise my opinion as to their flavor - or lack thereof - I'd be glad to know about it. It might motivate me sufficiently to get off my duff and interrupt my other pursuits, like looking for silver coins, and resume morel hunting, something I haven't done for a good ten years. In my area, they are most likely to occur around the first week in May.

Shoe

Nov 18, 2007
Addison Township, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The grays and blacks, dredged in flour and fried in butter with a little garlic salt and seasoned pepper, are wonderful. The yellows are best dried and then added to sauces throughout the year.

That picture of the yellow monsters was four or five years ago. We got ten gallons of morels out of our back yard that year.

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM..MM...MM!!! Now that's a true Appalachian treasure.
We always find the big yellers near openings in the woods or field edges or under apple trees in the yard, the small black'n'greys in the woods under big poplar trees( there my favorite) and the half free (long neck with the brownish cap unattached at the bottom) on the northern side of the hill under tall oaks. Watch out for the false ones!!!!

GREG

Attachments

• morels.jpg
    morels.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 476

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you fry yours ?
that is how my wife does it...

WHAT FRY SOMETHING THAT WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no best served shaved thin over quail eggs,soups and polenta
TIP: and a few shavings to some decent e.v.o.o. "truffle oil" and use it when you make hunters eggs ( polenta cake black forest ham and a poached egg with a hollandaise sauce)
you have a wonderful treasure there :thumbsup:

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was inspired to go get some today....

MMMMM....MMMMMMM....
Shrooms 'N' Ramps

LUNCH!!!! :tongue3:

Attachments

• ramps\'n\'shrooms.jpg
    ramps\'n\'shrooms.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 369

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300
Never had them but would sure like to try them. Do they grow in up-state NY? If so , where do I look. Thanks

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know from quail eggs and polenta an tah like but....

I shur know shrooms fried in butta, stewed ramps in vinegar and bacon greese, wit last years canned tah maters with a dab 'o' cottage cheese tastes mighty fine!!! :tongue3:

Greg

Attachments

• dinner (Medium).jpg
    dinner (Medium).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 277

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
KShunter. I agree, Crappie and shrooms. Even the much vaunted walleye cant match the taste. And both the shroom and the crappie are in season. I gotta go charge up the boat today!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread