Non paying bidders are getting out of control.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about any of you other ebay sellers, but I have had a huge increase in the numbers of non paying bidders this month. I really dont sell much, I think I've sold around 35 items in the past 30 days, and I've had 8 (including one I just had this evening) non paid items, including one item twice in a row! Is this happening to anyone else?? It is incredibly frustrating, especially because I don't have a store so my free listings are pretty limited. I love the thrill of when my items are bid on, but recently it seems like I can hardly count on anyone to pay. The excuses from members with feedback, or the people who clearly made an account the night before, bid on the item, and then regretted it and decided to become unresponsive, its all so obnoxious! Is there anything I can do about this, or perhaps solutions that any of you have discovered?. Sorry for ranting, I'd love to hear if this has been happening to anyone else, or if my luck is just running thin this month.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I haven't had a problems like that, I am selling whatever I find in these houses and on most they pay for it before I ever get a chance to send them the invoice, what are you selling?

anordstr

Greenie
May 3, 2013
I've had a lot of trouble with old Nintendo games having nonpaying bidders. I assume it's because younger people are buying then panicking once they win. Is there any way around waiting a month to re-list it?

Deeseven

Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a lot of trouble with old Nintendo games having nonpaying bidders. I assume it's because younger people are buying then panicking once they win. Is there any way around waiting a month to re-list it?

nes games do better in lots, I've had good luck with lots even if it is just 2 games. when I list single I get more trouble it seems.

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I block anyone who has had more then two non payments. I had 5 last month who did not pay. It's annoying.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Bummer Baltimore! Here is an interesting thread: How do you avoid new ebayers bidding on your item?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Im not sure what you consider young but I would assume most people bidding on NES games are buying them because they played them as kids. That would make most of them 25+ years old or so.

FloridaHunter

Dec 6, 2004
Florida
I also have this problem. I rarely get an email from the non-payers, they simply do not pay. It is to the point now that if I have a bunch of auctions ending one night, I am very surprised if everyone pays.

I also have my settings to blocks bidders with more than 2 unpaid item strikes within 6 months, but that only gets a few.

I have my settings where a case is automatically opened after 4 days. Usually they pay, but sometimes they don't. Then I decide if I am going to block them, and I often do.

Make sure you open a case against any non-payers so they will get an unpaid item strike.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem. For me, most of the items that people do not pay for are hats, shoes and shirts. I sell a lot of clothing during the summer, because it is easy to find stuff cheap and make a quick profit, but for some reason those items also bring out a ton of non paying bidders.

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I had a lot of silver coins people didn't pay. Maybe be aide silver dropped. Not really sure why not. I've gotten some that will bid then want the item shipped to another country! Not gonna happen. It's been a rough summer so far! Can't wait for the cold months up north!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I state in all my listings that payment is expected within 4 days of the end of the auction or an email telling me when if not within those 4 days. If not, I offer the item to the next highest bidder or I relist it after those 4 days. Then I open a non paying bidder case against them and move on. There's not much you can do since ebay is all about the buyer and not the seller. I have left false positive feedback also, more than once. Example- Great experience, buyer didn't pay, didn't communicate, lovely buyer just doesn't pay.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I giuess I'm doing ok, not too many non-payers, just one or two, here or there.
I'm starting to see scammers though. I had some new shoes selling, I don't think they were ever worn, and they were so clean on the inside of them, it didn't look like a foot had ever been in them. Lady that won sends email, says they are "dirty" on the inside. WHAT? She was fishing for money back, I gave her a few dollars back just to be done and rid of her. I did tell her I had close up pics of the inside, that I didn't put on the auction, when I looked at them, I didn't understand her "dirty" statement.

Another, had won a coffee pot, the inside parts were again, so clean, look like they never been used. She sends me email, says she trying to get it "back to new", and has been cleaning it. Again, WHAT!? She didn't ask for anything, though.

I know I probably should have stood my ground and been tougher, I just wanted to be done with them!
Where is the place you can put user names to block from your auctions? I looked for it, but couldn't find it.
I do block anyone with 2 or more non-pays. Good luck everyone, it's seems really slow right now.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been lucky lately. When it does happen, it seems to come in cycles for some odd reason. I said earlier that I expect payment within 4 days or if not, an email saying when. Well, I just got an email from a customer that won an item last night. She says, I get paid every other Tuesday, not this one though. I will pay you the following Tuesday. WTF, I have to wait for 10 days for payment, if i'm lucky? I told her okay. If it had been any more than a $30 item, I would have cancelled her out and gave it to the next highest bidder.

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I've been lucky lately. When it does happen, it seems to come in cycles for some odd reason. I said earlier that I expect payment within 4 days or if not, an email saying when. Well, I just got an email from a customer that won an item last night. She says, I get paid every other Tuesday, not this one though. I will pay you the following Tuesday. WTF, I have to wait for 10 days for payment, if i'm lucky? I told her okay. If it had been any more than a $30 item, I would have cancelled her out and gave it to the next highest bidder.

I hate that. I had one that was waiting for his SS check to pay for an old book for $50. I thought man I hope to not be in those shoes at retirement!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
The one item I had the most trouble with was a pre-pay smart phone. Twice in a row bidders with less than 10 feedback bid it up, then didn't pay. Third time around I just did a Buy It Now and it was copped reasonably quickly. I was getting a bit suspicious that the cell phone business on ebay was taken over by a cartel. Maybe so, maybe not. I was just upgrading my personal phone.

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
How about this one. A guy buys something in Canada. I mail it to him and he says its a rust bucket and needs cleaned up. It was brand new on the box!!! Needless to say I told him to open a case and follow the instructions. I'm not dealing with he stupid anymore. He can send it back.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
I have issues sometimes with non-payers and slow pays. I found that eBay was correct - if you make your settings that they have to have PayPal, that really seemed to cut down on them. Least in my experience.

beebs88

May 5, 2013
I had trouble with this in the past and now list everything as a buy it now. Same fees and get the money on the spot.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pat-tekker-cat, it's in the center row at this page.

eBay Sitemap
Thanks LD.
I know Isabella1! When that lady told me new shoes were dirty on the inside, I thought, "Oh NO you don't, I got pics"! Same with the coffeepot, but she didn't give me know trouble though.
I want to say from now on: send it back! But I'll probably wishy washy out. Feed back should say, please don't bid on any more of my auctions! LOL! I don't need the headache!
Who haggles AFTER money changes hand and the deal is done? :BangHead:

I did set my non paying bidder to automatic at 16 days, just to catch what I don't. You can always turn it off and start a case sooner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions