Noob from NC

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all-

I got bitten by the Gold Bug while in Alaska last year, and since then, I've paid some money to pan in a few local "mines," but soon realized that they were all seeded. I began to suspect this when I was getting yellow and orange gold in the same bucket, but when I found a piece of wire gold in NC, I figured the jig was up.

I am now looking at getting a gold wheel and hitting the national forest, as well as a small branch behind the house, which is in a known gold area. I hope to add many colors to my collection, and I'm glad I stumbled across this forum.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!
Just so you'll know, there is wire gold in NC. Have found it myself in the wild. Don't try to take the wheel to the NF. No machine methods allowed.
HH
enamel7

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
There is both yellow and orange gold to be found around the vein mountain locale, as well as wire gold. I have gotten some myself in a nice layer of hard packed material that was missed by dredgers. I believe that the yellower gold comes from farther away and has been beaten pure by the river over time. The orange gold is usually chunkier and I think it comes from very close by. I have a piece of that orange gold that is attached to copper that came from out of the 2nd broad river near vein mtn. I have even heard of a guy finding black gold (manganese stained gold) from a reliable source that has dredged that area for years.

jaguargene

Feb 8, 2011
Hi you can only use a pan and a sluice in uwharrie.No highbankers,trommel etc.I live 25 miles from uwharrie
and it has great camping in the NF.You should try it.

OP
OP
Snarkie

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your responses.

Enamel7 and Jaguargene, thank you very much for that piece of info. I knew that no commercial mining was allowed, but did not realize this applied to wheels as well. Did not know about wire gold here in NC. I was under the impression that most was from Colorado.

Astrobouncer, I've heard of Vein Mountain, but what/where is it?

Snark

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vein Mountain is in the west corner of NC. Do a google search and you should find it. I went there a couple of years ago and I found some flour gold it was a fun week end.....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions