Noob needs a little advice.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Hello I am new to the MD world and had a few questions.

I have done a lot of research and have decided to settle on the Tesoro silver umax. People say it is a good MD for a noobie like myself.

I did have some questions about accessories.

The tesoro takes 9 volt batteries. I was thinking 2 rechargeable 9v would be good for saving battery costs. However it seems not all 9v rechargeables are the same size as standard 9v, IE they might not fit on the machine. So if anyone has any advice about that, a good brand with a good life span and not too big to fit in the machine, any feedback is welcomed.

Secondly, headphones. Not sure if the tesoro silver umax comes with any or even if they have a plug for them? If I do need a set any recommendations would be welcomed.

Thank you.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First things first, welcome to t-net and this wonderful hobby.

Congrats on choosing a detector, this choice alone gives some people headaches.

The Silver Umax is an excellent machine. I have had mine for almost 2 years. My avatar was found with my Umax on the beach.

I've only used alkaline 9 volts, so I can't help with the rechargeable battery question. Alkalines last for seems like forever in my machine, so I haven't looked into switching.

The Umax does have a headphone plug. I bought a pair of headphones with volume control at radio shack. Volume control is important because your detector only has one volume level- LOUD. There are several headphone brands out there Gray Ghost, Killer B's, Koss, are a few of them.

Good luck with new machine. :icon_thumleft:

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batteries are cheap, don't bother with rechargable. Batteries last a long time in a detector. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread