Noob Needs help

G

Greek

hello all

First i would like to say that you have a very nice place here, i just found it and hooked strait away.

Now i am a MD fun for many years but i will call my sell a (Noob) this is European slang for New User/Player
Now i have a diffrent question then most of you, cause from what i can see you are mainly from US, me i am Greek and live in Germany and my question is if i buy
a MD from White or from Garret .. etc etc will be any problems for me here in europe to use them ??? diffrent ground minerology or ground hardness ...
i will be using it mainly for coins/lost items like rings,chains.

Sorry to bother you with so (Nooby) question.

By the way i am thinking of getting a Land Ranger or a Time Ranger from Bounty Hunter any good /bad points on them ?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Hey Greek, first let me say welcome great to have you here and I'm glad you found us! As far as "noob" goes in the U.S we call 'em "newbie"! What I have heard is that whites has some MDs that are programable and that on their website they have programs available for download, but I'm not certain about it. That might be worth looking into, if they do, you surely could find one that works well in your area! Welcome aboard! Post us all your fantastic finds! I can't wait! :D

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I'd love to hunt the Teutoburg Forest. Rome lost three legions in a single battle there, over 30,000 killed by the "barbarians" in 9 A.D. A few years back an intrepid md'er found the actual site by locating one of the emperor's silver face masks. One soldier in each legion wore a silver likeness of Ceasar to demonstrate his and Romes omnipresence. Sure would be cool to find the other two! Up until the time of the MD'ers find the site was thought to be several miles away from where the subsequent finds were made.

There's more than few European MD'ing clubs as well many European MD mfrs if you can't find one of the U.S. mfr's represented there. Good luck and happy hunting!

D

Darod

Welcome Greek!
Nice to see you here and I hope you can get as much help as I have from everyone here! This is the best forum I have found on the Net,...by far!

In regards to your question,...personally, I wouldn't know where to direct you. HOWEVER, It is to my understanding that one member here could most likely be very helpfull to you. That would be "Relic-man". From what I can gather, he has done some MD'ing in europe and would most likely be able to help you find out what you need to purchase.

You can search by user name and send him a private message to ask your question. OR, if we wait long enough I'm sure he'll see your post and start offering advice :)

Good luck on the detecting! I'm very excited to see what you'll find! Make sure you post images for all of us to drool over :)

Rod

B

BIG BAD JOHN

Greek: Since you're primarily searching for "coins/lost items like rings,chains", the BH Land Ranger or Time Ranger will work well for you. The VDI (numeric identification system) will be beneficial in coinshooting. All of the other manufacturerers also offer some form of VDI as well. The BH machines are lightweight, the Time Ranger tips the scales at a scant 2.9 lbs. with batteries installed. The operating frequency is 6.9 khz, so it will have a much greater affinity for silver and clad coins, but can detect gold jewelry as well.

I have several friends who hunt with the Time Ranger and it is an impressive machine, very flexible and stable in it's operation. The main advantage I see in the Time Ranger over the Land Ranger is the Sentron Corelator circuit which helps to negate the effects of interference from overhead power lines. I was hunting with one of my friends who uses the Time Ranger about 2 weeks ago and we were searching in a wood-chip playground quite near some power lines, and my Discovery 3300 wouldn't settle down at all. I changed coils, batteries, reduced sensitivity, everything one could think of with no success. I moved about 50' away and it settled right down. My friend could hunt UNDER the power lines with no ill effects. If your MD can do that when others can't, you may just have virgin territory on your hands. Here's a link to the Time Ranger manual. You can download it and read it to see if it suits your fancy:

http://www.detecting.com/pdffiles/trman.pdf

Also, if you have more questions about the BH products, more specifically the Land Ranger or Time Ranger you inquired about, go to the BH website at:

http://www.detecting.com

Click on the 'Bulletin Board' tab, set up your account, log in and ask away. I know of one or two fellows on that site who do extremely well with the Time Ranger and Land Ranger. I really can't comment with any credibility to other machines that would work for you, so I'll leave that to the others on this forum who can speak to alternative choices with some authority.

Irrespective of which Brand/Model you finally settle on be aware that success in detecting comes from time spent in the field and learning what your particular detector is telling you. Experience beats a top-flight machine every time. I believe that most on this forum would agree with that statement. Good luck to you in your new hobby...I wish you Happy Hunting and Great Success! BBJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread