Noob Swinging In The Sandpile

OldGringo

Jun 19, 2015
Missouri City, Tx.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was finally able to get out this morning with the new to me Ace 350. Being the total noob, I selected one of the area sand volley ball courts where I knew I wouldn't have to do any plug cutting. Due to the heat and humidity at 09:00 hrs. I only lasted about 45 minutes as it's getting HOT here in the Houston area! Tally for the short hunt was 3 bottle caps and 5 scraps of foil from energy drink packets. Several targets eluded me as all I had for digging was a garden trowel. I did however stop by the local feed store on the way home and picked up a feed scoop to drill out and make a "Poor Boy" sand scoop. This will get a lot easier with the correct tools. Will not bore you folks with photos of bottle caps as I'm sure you've dug a few yourselves.
Hopefully I'll have better reports in the not too distant future.
Regards,
OldGringo

(Admin, please relocate as applicable)

Upvote 8

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey your in the game by swinging.
When it's hot, check around. Shade attracts folks to take advantage and on occasion drop something decent over the years.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on getting off the bench and into the game. :occasion14: I love the heat, I just make sure I take a cooler of ice cold bottled water and spare batteris everytime I go out detecting.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's great your out swinging the 350 and finding stuff!

It will be easier & quicker with your new sand scoop.
I sometimes wrap a cold pack in a cloth around my neck while hunting in the heat.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you're getting out (I'm not ) sand volleyball pits are reputed to be good for jewelry finds (dig all signals )

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to MDing. Glad you're finding stuff. Just remember, each one of those targets "could" have been something really cool! That's why we dig!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep on keepin on.
You will be OK.
Fall & Winter hunting is much more enjoyable in the South.
Davers

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DIG MY MAN LIKE A DOG WITH FLEAS!!!!! SOON OR LATER THE RELEIF WILL COME.

OP
OP
OldGringo

OldGringo

Jun 19, 2015
Missouri City, Tx.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the encouragement. Started drilling holes in my feed scoop last night and decided a person could get too overzealous and compromise the inherent strength of the thing. Will stop by the volleyball pit on my way to the library later this afternoon and see if more holes need to be drilled?
Thanks again,
OG

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't have a pinpointer I highly recommend one. People seem to like the Garrett these days. I have one but can't seem to give up my X-1 in-line probe and my VibraProbe. I think you can get an in-line probe from SunRay for that Ace 350! I'll be money well spent!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread