Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Build a test garden to practice with the new machine. Assorted coins at different depths, so that you get used to the sounds. Don't be afraid to put some trash in there too, as the real world is full of trash.

Often times, public schools and parks can be good places to start. There are usually shallow coins and maybe a ring or two.

Go straight to pro mode! It offers a lot more information about the target. At first it sounds busy, but after you get used to what the machine is telling you, it will all make sense.

Best of luck to you sir!

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are off to a great start with the pointer and digger. Most people overlook the pin pointer which is a good way to get frustrated. The AT Pro is a great machine, and likewise i suggest starting in Pro mode and set discrimination up to 35-37, turn off Iron Audio until you need it to get a second opinion on what you hear in the ground. I keep sensitivity 2 increments below max. You will dig trash, but in doing so you will learn what to ignore and what to dig as you increase your time with the machine. Good luck and welcome to T-Net.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet and good luck with the AT PRO.
You have to dedicate about 100 hours to learn any new machine.

OP
OP
L
Jul 11, 2017
LAKE CITY, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I will. yesterday, I worked 2.5 hours and figuring what buttons did what. I found how the Ground balance worked. before had so much ghost sounds. now very little. alot more to learn before I start actually trying in other areas.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit your yard and hit it hard. Practice not only learning your machine, but also a good plug. When you are done, you'll want the spot you dug to look flawless. You don't want to dig on someone elses land if you can't leave it looking good.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh and put a couple of plastic grocery bags in your pocket to put dirt you dig on.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some great instructional videos on YouTube for the AT Pro and other folks using them in actual practice on hunts and explaining what they are doing and hearing. Best to be out swinging your coil, but at night or when you can't, these will give you a broader sense of what to do and how to do it. Just know that we are all learning, so don't take anyone's example as the only "right" way. Make your own way and enjoy the process as much as the finds and you'll have a great hobby for life!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread