NorCal, 6 Rivers NF, Crescent City Area Tips?

sparks

Mar 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings all!

I'm new to panning and this forum. As the title suggests, I'm looking for tips, not necessarily locations.

Specifically, I'm looking to stay out of trouble! :)

National Parks are a no, no. Got it. But what about the Wild & Scenic Rivers, recreational vs wild designation? Where can I find 'the rules' from an official source for the area? Is panning only allowed during certain times of the year?

Anyways, lots of info about doing it the right way would be very helpful. I certainly know how to do it the wrong way. ;)

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Learn how to use this website. It is probably the best resource available to us miners.:thumbsup: Welcome to Land Matters. Click on maps, then on mining claims, then California. From there you can zoom in on your area of interest. This, at the least, will clue you in on where gold is and has been found (current and historical claims). Do not prospect on the claims but it is usually a good choice to look for gold in nearby areas. US Forest Service lands (not parks) and BLM lands are usually open for prospecting except in specially designated areas.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

PS: Look for prospecting clubs near where you live. They have claims and the members are usually helpful.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread