North Benton Site

Hopewell

Greenie
Nov 22, 2009
All of these pieces were found in 1939 and reported in Scientific American in 1940 and American Antiquity in 1945. The site is unique in that the mound contained an internal stone effigy of a bird made of white stones. There was an extended burial on each wing with crushed human skulls laid at the feet. Within the mound, and southeast of the effigy was a horseshoe-shaped enclosure made of sandstone slabs. The center slab was covered with red ochre and another deposit of crushed skulls; the pictured celt matched up to the abrasion marks found on the slab. I have given several talks on the mound and the significance of the internal effigy.

Attachments

• hopewell 127.jpg
    hopewell 127.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 906
Upvote 0

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
thanks for the post john, i live about 5 miles from this mound and my grandfather was present when they did the dig,he worked for the township and was in charge of the care of the white burial in the mound,he had some really good pics of the dig and the artifacts but they were lost after he passed away,i can remember looking at the pics when i was a kid and wondering what was in the fields around that area,i do remember more celts and a platform pipe do you know where they are
jeff
this gorget was found about a quarter mile from the mound
Picture002.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hopewell

Greenie
Nov 22, 2009
Jeff,

That is a cool gorget! If you are coming to the January ASO show, could you please bring it, so I can take some pictures of it?

The platform pipe and wooden copper-covered bird head effigy are the only two pieces I cannot locate. I have a feeling they were sold when the Magrath family dispersed Willis's collection in the 1970's. the Ohio Historical Society got Magrath's portion of the mound artifacts by deceitful means (typical of them). I felt really fortunate to get this group, because when I tracked them down, Saltsman's son was boxing the artifacts up to send to an anitique dealer friend in Seattle to sell for him. They are now safe and sound in Ohio where they belong and not scattered to the four winds. I also got the newspaper clippings on the excavation. A year later, I acquired the original photos and negatives taken by Magrath's son at the excavation; I will bring them the ASO show so you can see them. it is a shame you cannot find your grandfather's photographs; I would love to have seen them and made copies. I contacted every historical society in the area and even the local church asking for anyone who was at the site and took pictures to contact me, but noone ever did.

I attached a few more pictures for you. I forgot to include the copper sphere found with the female on the wing. It was actually a rattle. Also, did you ever see the pottery head that was found in the sidecut of the road by the mound? I have tried to get this, but owner will not let it go.

Sincerely, John

Attachments

• Ceremonial Cache1.JPG
    Ceremonial Cache1.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 581
  • Copper Rattle1a.JPG
    Copper Rattle1a.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 523
  • Effigy and B2a.JPG
    Effigy and B2a.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 697
  • North Benton 026b.jpg
    North Benton 026b.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 586

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
john , I'm going to try to get to the Jan aso show ,if i do ill bring the gorget. that mound has always fascinated me ,I've heard there was another effigy mound where the ravenna arsenal is, i guess that one was in the shape of a star on the outside,then there is the mound in charlestown that is covered in sandstone flagstones ,the hopewell up here did things alittle different

crick

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in any information on the North Benton Mound site. I live in town and find it very interesting. The North Benton post office had a copy of the article from Scientific American. I have also heard that the Salem Historical Society might have some stuff from the mound.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s incredible , what a great site full of amazing history. Some of those artifacts are unreal I would love to see them in person.

Spencer2986

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the bump but recently found out about this and when I did a search I found this thread. Is anyone still in the area? I would like to visit or hunt some of the surrounding areas if possible. I am about 30 minutes out from the mound.

Spencer2986

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m trying to find out more info on it but the local guys aren’t on the forum anymore, I believe.

Wulfie

Nov 16, 2020
Kent Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still actively hunt the area surrounding the mound and also Alliance fields for Plum Run flint .I have found quite a few artifacts over the years .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread