North Central, PA

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fish,
I live in upstate NY in the southern tier, Broome County to be a little more specific. I hunt many farms in the area and have turned up some really interesting finds. And i would love to share some info with you!

-Jerred-

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Greetings Fishandhunt,
There are a number of excellent areas to search in your region. I don't have my files here handy, but even without them I would suggest that you walk up and down the area creeks and rivers, keeping an eye out for those gravel bars and sand banks. These are great places to find arrowheads and spear heads. Old trails that lead up into the woods are also great, and rocky cliffs near the tops of hills frequently have overhangs and small caves that were used by local Indians as shelter from storms. Don't forget to ask local gravel pits if you may enter and look for artifacts where they have been digging up gravel to sell, a friend of my father's (actually his boss, the postmaster) spent almost every afternoon digging in one particular old gravel pit outside of the town of Nicholson and found so many artifacts that his basement is chock full of them! These are just a few of the sites you can hit, there are others like ancient Indian mounds, forts etc but will take some research on your part - stop in your local historical societies and ask to use their library - most allow this to the public but you cannot take the books and records out, you must bring a notebook and pencil and make notes while you are there.

If you know of any old caves around you, or ask around to find some, these are also great places to hunt, sometimes you can even find Indian pottery in old caves.

There is a book, (paperback only I think, but not a small book) titled Indian Trails of Pennsylvania, which has maps showing numerous major and many minor Indian trails across the entire state - it might take some hunting to find a copy (try Amazon and Barnes and Noble, or Bookfinder.com) but it is a wealth of information on where to hunt artifacts, as those trails are excellent places to look and lead to many ancient Indian town and village sites.

If I can find any more information I will sure post it here for you.
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions