Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all-
Been creeping this forum subject off and on for a little bit now. Just curious if any one hunts in Wisconsin, mainly central/northern parts? If so, what resources have you found helpful in research? Was recently in MT on a dinosaur fossil hunt and stumbled upon a arrowhead, which the land owner allowed me to keep, which has got me thinking about looking around here. Sorta almost just looking to get out and be more active, walk around and whatnot, and rock hounding by superior is too far of a drive to do so consistently. Really not sure where to start though, have a few history books with tribal info and whatnot, but beyond that... Fully realize its pointless just to go out in random fields to look, and know that state/county lands are off limits so need permissions, but know plenty of farmers and land owners around here I could probably make an attempt. The research part is where I'm looking for advice/info on, or if anyone already goes in this area? Appreciate any and all information you may have! Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lot of old logging camps too. Might take some research.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to a metal detector with you too. Lots of Copper artifacts found on certain sites in Wisconsin.

This is my Wisconsin tray. As you can see, lots of nice pieces can be found there. Not personal finds.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    613 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    706.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    657.6 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You might want to a metal detector with you too. Lots of Copper artifacts found on certain sites in Wisconsin.

This is my Wisconsin tray. As you can see, lots of nice pieces can be found there. Not personal finds.

Thats impressive... I do have a metal detector, just need to get a platt book and talk to some people I think... Still figure doing prior research will help reduce the amount of "wasted" time though.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ask your farmers where the arrowheads are found, and hunt there. No sense wasting time reinventing the wheel.

Thats just it, to the best of my knowledge, no one really has. Or at least, aren't really purposefully looking for them. Found a couple cheaper books on ebay that I may purchase to give me a better idea of the area's history and go from there. Don't think it'll be as easy as simply walking up and down any field and finding things. Areas by water, or maybe trails or near earlier settlements/homesteads. There had been a body found on my great-grandmother's land (after she passed and the new owners built) that dated to late 1800's, so figure that area may be a good starting point, little creek cuts through...

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
You are in a good area, Wisc has all the cultural periods with some really extensive Mound sites etc. Talk to your farmer friends who have creeks, streams, river frontage and walk the rises above the flood plain. Especially good are confluences of streams and DON`T forget the gravel bars in streams. Larger unbroken pieces are often found there and after every heavy rain new ones appear and are also buried until someone with a keen eye and patience comes along.....Good Luck!

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats just it, to the best of my knowledge, no one really has. Or at least, aren't really purposefully looking for them. Found a couple cheaper books on ebay that I may purchase to give me a better idea of the area's history and go from there. Don't think it'll be as easy as simply walking up and down any field and finding things. Areas by water, or maybe trails or near earlier settlements/homesteads. There had been a body found on my great-grandmother's land (after she passed and the new owners built) that dated to late 1800's, so figure that area may be a good starting point, little creek cuts through...

Boys range pretty widely -- exploring &c. If one of them found one somewhere, that would be in the collective memory bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread