North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
North Texas Drivers Stopped at Roadblock Asked for Saliva, Blood | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

There's a video of the news broadcast on the site.

By Scott Gordon
| Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 | Updated 1:18 PM CST

Some drivers along a busy North Fort Worth street on Friday were stopped at police roadblock and directed into a parking lot, where they were asked by federal contractors for samples of their breath, saliva and even blood.

It was part of a government research study aimed at determining the number of drunken or drug-impaired drivers.

"It just doesn't seem right that you can be forced off the road when you're not doing anything wrong," said Kim Cope, who said she was on her lunch break when she was forced to pull over at the roadblock on Beach Street.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which is spending $7.9 million on the survey over three years, said participation was "100 percent voluntary" and anonymous.

But Cope said it didn't feel voluntary to her -- despite signs saying it was.

"I gestured to the guy in front that I just wanted to go straight, but he wouldn't let me and forced me into a parking spot," she said.

Once parked, she couldn't believe what she was asked next.

"They were asking for cheek swabs," she said. "They would give $10 for that. Also, if you let them take your blood, they would pay you $50 for that."

At the very least, she said, they wanted to test her breath for alcohol.

She said she felt trapped.

"I finally did the Breathalyzer test just because I thought that would be the easiest way to leave," she said, adding she received no money.

Fort Worth police Sgt. Kelly Peel said he could not immediately locate any record of Fort Worth officers being involved in the roadblock but said he was still checking Monday evening.

A spokesman for nearby Haltom City police said his department was not involved.

NBC DFW confirmed that the survey was done by a government contractor, the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, which is based in Calverton, Md.

A company spokeswoman referred questions to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

An agency spokeswoman sent an email confirming the government is conducting the surveys in 30 cities across the country in an effort to reduce impaired-driving accidents.

She did not respond to another email from NBC DFW asking specific questions about the program..

But a Fort Worth attorney who is an expert in civil liberties law questioned whether such stops are constitutional.

"You can't just be pulled over randomly or for no reason," said attorney Frank Colosi.

He also noted the fine print on a form given to drivers informs them their breath was tested by "passive alcohol sensor readings before the consent process has been completed."

"They're essentially lying to you when they say it's completely voluntary, because they're testing you at that moment," Colosi said.

He also questioned the results of the "voluntary" survey -- speculating that drivers who had been drinking or using drugs would be more inclined to simply decline to participate.

Cope said she is troubled by what happened.

"It just doesn't seem right that they should be able to do any of it," she said. "If it's voluntary, it's voluntary, and none of it felt voluntary."

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is troubling,, I think the sheriff should be seeking charges against the perps in this.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have refused it....

"Am I being detained?"

"If so what are the charges and who am I being detained by?"

" If I am not being detained I am leaving."

" Oh, smile, check on youtube when you get home, you will be on there when I return home!"

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
DHS needs to be terrorized with 1001 dirty bombs like all Nazi's deserve.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they would get my breath only if they found enough men to hold me down- then they better not let me up!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7.9 million of our tax dollars, for a study that is inherently flawed.

Who would volunteer if they were under the influence?

How do these morons get in a position to waste our money like that?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the wrong article. This same exact story was already covered here.
I will look for the link later, if I have time.

If you check the link it is NBC news channel 5 and dated as Nov 19, 2013.

You may be remembering a simular incident, by all accounts and all links using Google this is current....

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is scary is that there are getting to be so many of these incidents JB feels This one has been discussed before!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Wow...Thats about 2 blocks from one of my hunting areas..lol

Fort Worth And Dallas Cops are on the news daily here..wheather it be them getting pulled for drunk driving...

or accidently killing an innocent man....oops?

Cops Shot an Innocent Guy at the Wrong House Because It Was Dark, Say Fort Worth Police - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Dallas Police Shoot Unarmed Mentally Ill Man, Then LIE About It! (Video) | Americans Against the Tea Party

Or the problem THEY have with DUI's

Former High Ranking Fort Worth Police Officer Fired For Driving Drunk « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

In the four years since Halstead’s led the department,
14 Fort Worth police officers have been arrested on suspicion of DWI,
including one who caused a crash that killed 27-year-old mother Sonia Baker in 2009.
That case still looms over the department –– as Halstead spoke, Baker’s mother Stella Lopez stood behind him,
joined by the wife of fallen officer Dwayne Freeto, who was killed by a drunken driver in 2006.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone is ever stopped for something like this, just say "NO" and drive off. It's unconstitutional to obtain these two things without a warrant, UNLESS you are a convicted felon in jail or you give them permission to take either of these, or you are pulled over and suspected of driving under the influence and then the blood would be legal in Texas. I live about 35-45 miles northwest of Ft Worth and I know of NO ONE who would have allowed them to do this to them for no reason.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard on the radio today that the police apologized for their involvement. One would expect any police to know the law and the basic rights. Am I wrong?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard on the radio today that the police apologized for their involvement. One would expect any police to know the law and the basic rights. Am I wrong?

I heard on the radio that the officers were off duty,, using off duty cars, and that the department apologized becuase it looked like they were involved. But, look a little deeper. There is a militarization of the police forces. And this looks like it was a probe, that is, it is a federally funded probe to see how compliant and ignorant of their rights Americans are right now ( and getting Americans to accept logging their DNA for cheap, There are many things that can be done with DNA! Hitler only wished he had OUR technology!) It is supposed to focus on 30 cities so far.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard on the radio that the officers were off duty,, using off duty cars, and that the department apologized becuase it looked like they were involved. But, look a little deeper. There is a militarization of the police forces. And this looks like it was a probe, that is, it is a federally funded probe to see how compliant and ignorant of their rights Americans are right now ( and getting Americans to accept logging their DNA for cheap, There are many things that can be done with DNA! Hitler only wished he had OUR technology!) It is supposed to focus on 30 cities so far.

Give an inch they take a mile and it doesn't matter who is occupying the Oval office.

Before bo became king and crammed lucifercare down American cutizens throat our rights were violated big time by the UN-PATRIOT Act passed under Bush.....

I refuse to surrender more rights or liberties. ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread