Northern Buffalo and wartime Silver

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Hi all,

Made it out this weekend to continue gridding a park that was adjacent to an old school. Taking a page from Tabman, I’ve been walking a string to keep me in a straight line. Seems to be working too.

My most interesting find (based on location not rarity) is the one I didn’t take a picture of in the hole. It came from about 6-8 inches down and rang up in the penny range. The amount of green ick was huge so I just thought penny and stowed it. It wasn’t until I dumped my finds later that I realized it was bigger than a penny. Turned out to be my first Buffalo. A 1937-D to be exact (photo in grouping) but being in Canada, I don’t expect to see them regularly. Some of the green will never come off unfortunately.

Also managed to pull a 1945 dime which had some great shine in the early morning dawn. It’s mud caked but the shine on silver is hard to mistake right away in this field so I cleaned just enough to find the date. Also managed to get another dreaded 1968 dime [emoji37]. So close but alas magnetic.

Happy hunting

Dig

IMG_7357.jpg IMG_7356.jpg IMG_7367.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to get a buffalo, even better with a date!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I dug a 37D a couple of years ago and looking at the back I though for sure I had a 3 legged. Once I got home and rinsed it off I found that the dirt was covering the part of the leg that is missing on some of these coins. 37D only. Check it out and grats on a fine hunt.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: A Buffalo with a date is great!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
I dug a 37D a couple of years ago and looking at the back I though for sure I had a 3 legged. Once I got home and rinsed it off I found that the dirt was covering the part of the leg that is missing on some of these coins. 37D only. Check it out and grats on a fine hunt.

Thanks xr7ator! I saw that when I was looking up information. There is a large splotch of verdigris on the back but even with that, I’m sure I see two front legs.

You know, looking at this photo just now, I don’t think I see the D I saw with the magnifying glass. Just a regular 1937 I guess.

IMG_7369.jpg

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Huh. Multi quote in Tapatalk seems to be gone [emoji848][emoji2955].

Whyme, Brendan75 and Trezurehunter. Thanks and happy hunting.

Dig

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congrats on the '45 Dime and the '37 Buffalo. :thumbsup:
Most detectorists don't consider the periphery fields adjacent to 'old' buildings now in 'new' areas, kudos to you for thinking outside-the-box.

When I find a hot site, I use 'The Union Jack' approach to gridding. :laughing7:
Dave

Attachments

• union-jack-flag-8x5-crop.gif
    union-jack-flag-8x5-crop.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nice finds, congrats on the '45 Dime and the '37 Buffalo. :thumbsup:
Most detectorists don't consider the periphery fields adjacent to 'old' buildings now in 'new' areas, kudos to you for thinking outside-the-box.

'The Union Jack':
Dave

Thanks Dave,

I wish I could claim intelligence but it’s mostly blind luck here as it was the basketball court that originally drew me. If I had been really smart I would have hit an area behind where the school had been (wasn’t fenced) but I started with the court and soccer side. Then like three weeks later the fences moved and 4 feet of dirt was gone from that section [emoji2359]. The lesson there was if I stumble upon an area with construction fences, figure out fast where that construction actually has plans for and hit it first.

Great tip too. I’ll forever think of this as the Union Jack Grid now [emoji1303]. I’ve been using the sniper coil for the up/down and was thinking I’d switch to the stock coil for the other directions since they should be a lot quieter.

Happy hunting

Dallas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread