Northern California treasure!

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
The creek runs right behind the old fort site and supposedly you follow the creek for 25 miles or so and it is in that vicinity but it's probably on private property that the land owner has no idea is there

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I've heard the story of the Trinity Mountain robbery. A group of robbers held up the mule train going over Trinity Mountain to Shasta. One of the mule train guards supposedly saw that one of the masked robbers had a tatoo on his arm, and he was identified down in Sutter County based on the tatoo when crossing a toll bridge.

Part of the gang led officers to the canyons in back of French Gulch, at the headwaters of Clear Creek. Part or most of the money was dug up from where it had been stashed and recovered. The gang went on to serve out long sentences. Several of the men drew out guns when arrested, and were not taken alive.

The Ruggles Brothers gold would be another. They supposedly hid the gold from the Iron Mountain stage in a creek on the west side of Redding, near Swasey Drive. It may have been recovered by an accomplice, or found later through dredging the creek. I used to live on part of the old Buck Montgomery ranch, and my parents knew his daughter. He was the stage guard killed by the Ruggles brothers. The brothers were taken fron Shasta by a mob and lynched from a loading derrick near the train tracks running under the Eureka Way overpass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread