Not a bad find on a 22 degree day in Rhode Island!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went metal detecting in the woods for about an hour today. It was 22 degrees out, but it was nice and sunny. Only find was this vintage hatchet head with it's sheath. I found it about five inches down (first inch was frozen solid). Not a bad day at all...

dsc02449 (3).jpg

Upvote 7

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to get out isn't it. When I get healed up I'm going out in the cold snow or no snow lol. Good luck

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice axe heads! So did the first one come in handy to get the other two out of the ground?

I'm going out this weekend can't wait! Was out 3 weeks ago when the top 3 in. Of ground was frozen, before the s-n-o-w happened.

Kodiak43351- speedy healing to you hope 2014 is a great year for you too!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, should have explained the photo! It's one axe head and the front and back of the leather sheath it was in. Came up under the jewelry setting on my Ace 250 because of the brass snaps on the sheath. Never would have found it otherwise, since the area has a lot of nails and rusty beer cans everywhere.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kodiak43351,

Yes, it was a little rough on the fingers today, but anything is better than sitting indoors all winter.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I'm ready to get out. I had some heart procedures done but feeling a lot better than I did. Just got to let some incisions heal and I'll be ready. Should be good in a couple of weeks and then it's go time. Lol good luck everyone.

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no doubt it was buried long enough for the handle to rot away completely

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. Never seen anyone find one of the sheaths.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking probably 1920's or 1930's. Tried to find a similar one on eBay, but there are way too many to look through. Can't find any markings on the head or the sheath, so that also makes it tough to ID.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I've ever found any part of a leather sheath. I've found a lot of axe heads, but they never had any evidence of a sheath. Plus, all of them were damaged or pitted beyond help. This one looks pretty good and should clean up nice.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kodiak43351,

I hope you're well and out metal detecting soon. You should be good as new in no time. I had two heart valves replaced in November 1967 when I was five years old. I'm still kicking 46 years later and healthy as a horse!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, just my trowel. It's a pretty tough tool. Once I make a small hole, I can usually pop up the frozen ground to expand the hole. And the ground is a lot softer in the woods because there's a layer of leaves covering the dirt. I think the leaves act as an insulator.

biggrip.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an estwing hatchet in a sheath but I like yours better. Dug is always better that store bought!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nah, just my trowel. It's a pretty tough tool. Once I make a small hole, I can usually pop up the frozen ground to expand the hole. And the ground is a lot softer in the woods because there's a layer of leaves covering the dirt. I think the leaves act as an insulator.

View attachment 926989
Congrats to you. I tried the woods yesterday after failure in a corn field, and after repeated stabbing motions at the frozen ground, I was able to chip away a small hole, but it felt like I was on the verge of bending my side digger! We had freezing rain just before a super cold stretch of frigid air turned even the woods' dirt to rock. Pretty neat to find the sheath for the hatchet. Thanks for the pics.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains,

That's for sure! After finding at least five damaged axe heads, I finally found one I can clean up and possibly use. Just have to figure out the correct length handle to buy. I even have the original wedge that was used to hold the handle in place. Should make for a fun project this week.

wedge.JPG

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldDude,

Yup, all the parks and baseball fields are frozen solid. The woods are the only areas that I can bang out a hole. Still tough on the hands, but I'll be trying it again today. Going to be about 30 degrees out, so that's not too bad.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding even the wedge with your hatchet adds to the importance of electrolysis and eventual use of the axe. It's begging to be used again. Looking forward to finished pics of it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some work on it today. I got the worst of the rust off with a wire wheel attached to my drill. Then I soaked it in citric acid for three hours. Much better shape now. I may do another round of grinding and citric acid before I put a handle on it. We'll see.

Thanks for all the interest in this hatchet head. I thought I would be the only person to think this was a good find!

DSC02465.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread