Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings!

Here's a funny story for ya: The other day I went out to the colonial schoolhouse woods I've been hunting (which to that point had given up three large coppers, a musket ball, bridle chain, and more), and after the usual laborious search I stopped to dig something fairly typical (a mason jar lid, I believe). Unfortunately when I took off my pack in order to stow the lid away, I must've dropped my pinpointer somewhere in the leaves, then unknowingly walked away.... :)

So, then a half-hour later, when I finally get another signal to dig, suddenly I realize it's gone, and to boot, I have no idea where in the woods I may have left it!!! :)

Then I embark on a cold-sweat grid search through the entire stretch of woods I had just hunted, with daylight fading, mind you. After a good two passes through the whole area I caught a glimpse of something in the leaves to my right, and lo and behold, it's my pinpointer! :thumbsup:

I figured that if the metal-detecting gods were testing me at that moment, I had indeed passed, so I had better keep swinging and maybe they'd reward me. Sure enough, about 20 minutes later I hit this nice old copper about 4 inches down. I went home about as happy as anyone could be at that point. :wink:

This one's in rough shape, but after cleaning you can make out a basic silhouette, which I'm pretty sure is that of a Classic Head LC variety, circa 1808-14. My oldest American Large Cent! Again not in the best of conditions, but I'll take it.

And from now on, I'm going to be A LOT more careful with my pinpointer!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• LC Classic Head ND Dirty.JPG
    LC Classic Head ND Dirty.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 564
  • LC Classic Head ND Front.JPG
    LC Classic Head ND Front.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 561
  • LC Classic Head ND Back.JPG
    LC Classic Head ND Back.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 558
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
not bad for a 200 year old coin...wow

Thanks, Allen. Yeah, anything that old is sweet, for sure. I keep hoping for some nice old silver (a reale, perhaps?), 'cause I'm sure that would hold up a lot better... Wish me luck! :wink:

Cheers and HH,
B

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find any day of the week :)

HH

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should look that good in 200 years :)

Nice digs! I have tomorrow off but have something to do first thing in the morning. If I get home early enough, I'll head out your way. In the afternoon, I'll be at the beach.

HH!

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe G said:
You should look that good in 200 years :)

Nice digs! I have tomorrow off but have something to do first thing in the morning. If I get home early enough, I'll head out your way. In the afternoon, I'll be at the beach.

HH!

Shoot! I'm probably going to be working tomorrow....

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta love the large coppers. Nice find. Any large cent is a good large cent. :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Day Turn Around's are alway's the best....Sometime's you go almost all day then you get that one hit that'll put that Possumm Eating S%@T grin on your face....Congratulation's on your oldest US LC.HH!!

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
You gotta love the large coppers. Nice find. Any large cent is a good large cent. :thumbsup:

Indeed, sir, as you well know. You've been making some great finds yourself! I've yet to find any true "colonial" coppers, like that sweet Jersey one you just dug. Top on my list!

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
Day Turn Around's are alway's the best....Sometime's you go almost all day then you get that one hit that'll put that Possumm Eating S%@T grin on your face....Congratulation's on your oldest US LC.HH!!

Thanks, Civilman1. I would've been happy just finding my pinpointer, which I bought back in January...the copper was like a cherry even bigger than the sundae!

Thanks for reading.

Cheers and HH,
B

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Here's wishing you a reale good day, next time out.
Nice LC!
Joe

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tennessee-Joe said:
Here's wishing you a reale good day, next time out.
Nice LC!
Joe

Oh man, that's what I'm praying for! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Cheers and HH,
B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread