Not a lot to show for a 6 hour hunt

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of those hunts that didn't produce anything old. Six hours and 60 newer coins including 2 Kennedy half dollars, a 1945 cinco pesos that was flattened and beat up, a 30 caliber military casing, and an item that I have no idea what it is. Any guesses would be welcomed. You don't always find older coins, and this was a place that I knew would be a producer of older coins. It must have been hunted hard some time in the past. Thanks for peeking and good luck with your finds. IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0006.JPG

Upvote 19

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I would be very happy with that haul. I'll tell you why... I have privilege to a 1860's property that I feel has never been hunted. Found a destroyed silver plated match safe, a sash buckle , suspender clip, harness bell, and many shotgun brass that was discontinued in 1904. The house and barn is still standing. NOT a single coin so far. You did well.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! :icon_thumleft: That's a very interesting thing a ma bob. Hope you find out what it is, I'd like to know too!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice amount of coins. Sorry I can’t help with the ID of the hook hanging thingy.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 Kennedy half dollars in one hunt is different, no wheats? Did the soil in your plugs look original vs. potentially fill mix? Cool foreign coin and mystery item, congrats!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would be very happy with that haul. I'll tell you why... I have privilege to a 1860's property that I feel has never been hunted. Found a destroyed silver plated match safe, a sash buckle , suspender clip, harness bell, and many shotgun brass that was discontinued in 1904. The house and barn is still standing. NOT a single coin so far. You did well.

I feel your pain. I hunted an 1850's home place with 4 acres. Around in the back of the estate is hidden so it's easy to slip in and not be seen. I detected back there first and nothing but camp lead and one button. But in the front yard, it was like virgin ground. I'm still on the place. Still have the garden to detect. Just not what I expected. Good luck. I should have said that I have premission, where some may not .

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice hunt.Congrats :coffee2:

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 Kennedy half dollars in one hunt is different, no wheats? Did the soil in your plugs look original vs. potentially fill mix? Cool foreign coin and mystery item, congrats!

The soil was old original soil with no fill dirt. I believe it was cleaned out some years ago. The previous owner hasn't had the property very long so he doesn't know if it was detected before.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. I hunted an 1850's home place with 4 acres. Around in the back of the estate is hidden so it's easy to slip in and not be seen. I detected back there first and nothing but camp lead and one button. But in the front yard, it was like virgin ground. I'm still on the place. Still have the garden to detect. Just not what I expected. Good luck. I should have said that I have premission, where some may not .

I have been hunting for 40 plus years so you can tell when a place has been hunted before or not. Some places were just cherry picked with no silver left and only penny signals, but they can be productive for Indians, nickels, and Wheats. It is just refreshing to do a place that has never been hunted before, but they are getting harder to find. I have 2 new permissions and they look promising, but I know another detectorist lives in the neighborhood so I won't have my hopes set too high.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, your hunt seems like nearly all of mine, minus the Kennedy Half Dollars and 45 Mexican coin. I tell ya, lately those two halves would of made a GREAT day for Dave.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, your hunt seems like nearly all of mine, minus the Kennedy Half Dollars and 45 Mexican coin. I tell ya, lately those two halves would of made a GREAT day for Dave.
Counting these 2 Kennedy halves I have only ever found 3 and to find 2 in one yard was unusual.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The soil was old original soil with no fill dirt. I believe it was cleaned out some years ago. The previous owner hasn't had the property very long so he doesn't know if it was detected before.

Same here. The owner is new and is remodeling the house back to the historical look. What's kinda funny is that I saw a Brass sign on the wall of the front porch last week that places this home on the National historical register by the USA Historical society. I'm thinking US Government. Ohhhh. Got to think a little on this premission.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 hours of this type of therapy is always welcome even if I don't find something noteworthy.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting