Not A N.A. Artifact But Then Again It Is.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walk a lot of creeks for all types of artifacts. In my area we get lucky and find Ice age animal bones from time to time. I found this broken bone that came from the end of an ice age horse leg bone, I noticed it had a lot of old rodent chew marks on it and tossed it in my bag. Later after washing it off I noticed the way that the bone was broken was not a normal break from time in the creek or something just putting pressure down on it. I carried it to some Archaeologist and a Paleontologist that I know and without any one saying a word they came to the same conclusion that I did. It was broken by prehistoric man with a stone to get to the marrow in the bone. It has a place of honor now in my collection. The 1st photo shows the percussion break. broken bone.jpg broken bone1.jpg broken bone2.jpg broken bone3.jpg The last photo show another strike. This is what learning about flint knapping taught me, it's called fracture mechanics.

Upvote 0

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, well, that begs the question. What does that mean, "more like fossils you find in Florida"?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TOTALLY COOL !!! Good eye!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish there was some fossils in the creeks in my area but so far nothing, cool find

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is unique. I love the interesting speculation on it and yes it would be in a good spot in my collection too....

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is neat. I am still hoping to find some of those Ice age mammals especially a bison example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions