Not A Normal Day

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Woke up early this morning and headed out to scout out a few places. I decided to check out this small park not far from the house where there is only a volleyball court and very small tot lot. Figured it wouldn't take too long and I could be off to another place. I first started with the volleyball court and found a little clad (around the outside edges), and some sort of leaf trinket along with four 22 shells and a monster junque ring, inside the pit.
coins3.JPG
trinkets2.JPG
I started toward the tot lot and saw a city park ranger parked behind my truck. You see, I live on the county line of Travis Co and Williamson Co. Metal detectors are not allowed in the city of Austin, Travis Co, or LCRA parks. Williamson Co could care less, and I thought that I was in a neighborhood park. Sure enough here he comes. The first thing he says is "I hope you're doing that for the city of Austin", to which I reply that I am not. To which he then tells me that I am not allowed to metal detect in that park because it is a part of Austin. To make a long story short, we spent the next hour or so just talking about metal detecting, laws, and the stupidity of the laws. He turned out to be a pretty good ol' boy and we left on good terms.
So it's now getting really hot and the morning is gone, so I decide to head back home. On the way back I remember a spot that is about 20' square in this other park, in Williamson Co. It allways produces a few wheat pennies, never any silver or nickels. Now this 20' square area is in a back corner of a several acre park, and that is the only place I have found old coins in this whole park. When I was growing up, this park was part of a ranch that had nothing but rocks and rattlesnakes on it. Nothing as to explain these wheat pennies. Sure enough, after a short search I ended up with six more wheat's,
1942, 1944 D, 1946 D,1951 D, 1953 D, and a 1954 D. I searched again until there were no more signals and called it a day.
wheats.JPG

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I hate those heartstopper faux diamond rings, well, not hate, ahh
you know... anyway, so glad the ranger dude didn't confiscate the ole detector. Sounds like a tough town. Us MD'ers are such a rough bunch huh :D.

Glad you got a pouchful of goodies and all those wheats, congrats!

Smiles!
Bdoo

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
The ranger was really pretty cool. He said as far as he cared, when he left he didn't care what I did. He said the city just had a meeting and they were instructed to remove detectorist from the parks, that we were damaging them by digging. Before, they would just kind of turn the other way. I told him since I had been told, I would leave, too. I showed him the 22 shells and trash and he agreed that we do way more good than harm when it comes to cleaning up the parks and keeping the kids safe. But, it wasn't up to him, and he had to enforce the law.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds PM---Too bad that stone is not the real MCCoy.
WIth all that wheat there should be some silver there.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
These had to have been brought in with the fill they used to make the park. I have found new style Sprite cans deeper than the wheats, and most of those were about 4" deep. The Sprite can was a goog 8+". Probably just this one load too.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Thats a crazy looking ring for junk Bet it made the ol pig heart jump a beat, as well as the park ranger I am sure, Great bunch of wheats for one area, Good job

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
I have found a total of 23 wheats in that 20' square area to date. No silver or nickels. Oh yea, 3 Sprite cans, and something too big for me to dig up in a park.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats PM. Glad the ranger was a good chap and realized the stupidity of some of the laws that block our hobby.

HH

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
You did the right thing when you left, too bad he didn't give you any leads :D. Nice looking ring for junk! Some little girl would love it, again. Never ever mind digging wheaties. Great day overall!

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Looks like some nice finds! Too bad it seems any harmless recreation is removed from places like that. lol, once I am able to get started here if I run into a similar problem, I'll get some footage of the drug-dealers at work & asked why they're allowed to stay.

Smitty

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:'( Piggman at least you made a new friend and it didn't cost you in the way of a ticket. Maybe the Ranger can take a posistive story back to the Powers that Be and get some things changed for once. You did Good Piggman. Nice finds by the way :o :o

Desertfox

R

RUDY2003

Hey piggy. Found some wheats eh?
That ring looks like Marie Antoinette of France would have worn it. Pretty spectacular but no to obstinateness. HAHAHA

Keep diggin buddy...

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Wow looks like all the wheaties except the first one in pic to left came out very nice...

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
DFX-Gregg said:
Wow looks like all the wheaties except the first one in pic to left came out very nice...

Yea, I put them in the cleaner except the first one. A regular penny acidently got put in instead of it. Didn't notice untill I took them out and found the other one still in my pocket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread