Not a skunk but not good news

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I got my weekly box today and found 1 68-D. Only 1 silver but more than I found in my last 4 boxes. The bad news is that 209 halves had a mark on Kennedy's ear so I'm searching someone else's rejects. I haven't found more than about 5 marked coins in a box before this one. Most of my boxes have been the white with yellow writing single layer type, but this one was a 5x5 double layer box with brown writing. My first 2 boxes were like this so I was hoping that maybe this came from an older stack of halves chuck full of silver, no such luck. I hope I don't keep finding this many marked halves in future boxes or as much as I don't want to I may have to find a new buy bank for a while.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer on your slim pickins Fropa. I keep wondering if I should venture back into half dollar boxes from the bank but I never had great success with my Wells Fargo and I'm not a big fan of bank hopping. Maybe I'll wait. Good luck with your future boxes Fropa!

bama #1

Dec 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe someone would take the time to put a mark on each coin.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
Fropa, where you from ? Im from Western PA. Im having similar results.

My bank just changed carriers last week, and I now get the double stacked
square boxes. My 4 boxes this week were 3 40%, skunk,skunk, 1 40%.

4 keepers from 4 boxes. And the last box I just searched, had at least a hundred
with black marks on Kennedy's ear hole.

Thing is, the last carrier my bank used, also had noticeable amounts of this same
mark. Just figured Id ask and see how close to this area you are.

If not close, then the FED storages are just accumulating marked halves from years
and years of searchers, and someone has been very busy over the years ;)

Let me know ! Id like to figure this out too .

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
bama #1 said:

Ditto that. I put my initials on the rolls, but I can't see marking every darn coin.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I have done some sampleing of marking coins I guess you could say. Marked a couple hundred and sent them back. I found it to be very helpful to find were my coins were going. Got results fast too.

Dude I hate to say it.... but if you keep getting skunked its your own falt if you arent trying something new. I have changed my aproach a few time already. Diffrent banks supply and dump.

Remember its called coin roll hunting... not coin roll fall in your lap-ing. ;D

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotto said:
bama #1 said:

Ditto that. I put my initials on the rolls, but I can't see marking every darn coin.

I mark the rolls too...not the coins. I guess it would be intersting to see if one ever makes the round back to you.

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I get one box per week from this bank but also have started doing some bank hunting and plan to increase the bank trips. I was worried that my box bank and dump bank used the same carrier but I did find out that wasn't the case. The buy bank uses Wells Fargo and the dump site uses Guardian. I did mark an entire box before I found out to see if I would get any of my own back, none yet. It's just been the last 5 boxes that have been bad so not a record breaking streak yet.

I live in SW Wisconsin. These were marked with both blue and black markers. Some were streaks across the ear and some were just a small dot in the center of the ear so I'm not sure if they were all from the same person or not.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
hey I am in southern WI too. I am unaware of those carrier names though. if you can send all your duds south with brinks..... then we wont be crossing paths. You sure its not Loomis fargo or whatever??? Its hard to know for sure. I know some site of all the carriers that someone posted does not seem to be correct.

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Hey bigtime400, nice to meet another Cheesehead on the board. My buy bank uses Brinks, not Wells Fargo (Brain glitch). I think my dump bank said Guardian but I'll check again to make sure thats right. Do you dump at a bank that uses Brinks? Maybe I'm getting a bunch of your rejects.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
yes I dump at a brinks bank that goes back to rockford. Someone else on here was getting some of my rejects. A little while back I marked some with blue marker on Kennedys nose. But there is more then one brinks station. Do you know where your halfs are coming from? Madison? Rockford?

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I checked with my dump bank today and it is Guardian the picks-up and delivers their coin. The coin originates in Minneapolis. I also found out that another branch in a town 12 miles away uses a site in Milwaukee for coins, so I could in theory pick-up at one location and dump at the other and not get my own rejects. One thought I had is that with so many people CRHing now, is it even possible to find a box source that won't have someones rejects flowing through it?

My dump bank has offered to get me 2 boxes a week so I may turn it from my dump to buy bank. I've only searched about 25 boxes total so far, so is it likely that I would get many of my own rejects back if Minneapolis is receiving and dispersing coins to what I would think is a fairly large area?

Irish Finn

Mar 31, 2007
Chicago Fed District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fropa,

Hey it really does not matter where you get your boxes. I have found a walker and a Benji with Big Time's marked coins the last two weeks in the same rolls. Its luck and not skill. I have found over 250 silvers the first month I started to coin roll hunt. I have seen probably 30,000 marked coins.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Irish is correct to an extent........ I had 2 boxes that were FULL of marked coins except for the 40+ silver that I got. Which also I might add was one of my better boxes.... and also before that has happened. But it doesn't take magic to figure out that if you send your coins to a diffrent area then you recive them you will have better odds.

One thing I found was intresting was that when I started dumping at brinks of Rockford exclusively and I was still ordering from some banks that got their supply from brinks of rockford I was getting my marked coins back within 2 weeks. Then from there on out I had like 15 skunk boxes in a row. Now I didnt mark all that many halves either. Maybe $1000 woth tops. So what does that tell you?

But Irish is right..... obviously there are people dumping at my supply bank but I am still finding them. Ultimately it depends on who is cashing in silver halves and they are going back into circulation or what they are getting mixed with, or what box from what group they happen to grab. But irreguardless of any situation you have no control over that. The only thing you can do is possibly send your halves in one direction so at least you aren't getting your own searched ones back.

I would be leary of buying from your dump bank. If anything don't dump there for a couple months and then try.

I would think that sending them to Minneapolis would be a GREAT idea. Between you sending them north and me sending them south we will get all kinds of new halves pumped into our area.

Does this all make sense to you?

Isn't it nice to have a post with actual work and info on coin roll hunting rather then all the fluff that goes around?

I think alot of people dont want to give up their locations or secrets.......

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigtime400 said:
I would think that sending them to Minneapolis would be a GREAT idea. Between you sending them north and me sending them south we will get all kinds of new halves pumped into our area.

Actually I would have to completely disagree with you on this one, dumping them in Minneapolis would not be a GREAT idea. We have plenty of marked halves already. I would recommend going east instead of west.

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
No matter where I dump them there going to be going into someone else's territory. I'd hate to start a CRHing turf war. I also agree no matter where I get them I'm going to be getting someone's rejects, even if there not marked and potentially some good silver. I know it wouldn't be great to start buying from my dump bank initially, but it may work out over time if I search twice as much as I do now.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I believe all that matters is where the coins get sent, just because the banks claim they send them to the Fed I believe most actually go back to coin depots relatively close to where the coins were picked up. So unless you drive all the way to a bank that uses an armored service that has its closest coin depot in the Minneapolis, it probably will not even make it to Minneapolis.

Additionally, the cost of driving coins to a neighboring Fed district is typically cost prohibitive on its own, so I am not too worried. ;D

The price of gas itself will eat up most of your profits unless:
A) You are carrying a huge load of halves (in other words for safety you should probably be driving an armored truck),
B) You are traveling there already, or
C) You happen to be a lucky one that lives near the border of the district so it doesn't take much effort to switch.

Fropa said:
No matter where I dump them there going to be going into someone else's territory.

Pretty much my point exactly, though I didn't say it. ;D So dump them where its convenient for you.

Fropa said:
I know it wouldn't be great to start buying from my dump bank initially, but it may work out over time if I search twice as much as I do now.

Your success is completely dependent on the source of the coins being searched. It is just as likely that someone is cashing in silver at your dump bank. That being said, your odds are better if you don't search and dump through the same armored service, unless you don't search a lot, in which case it probably doesn't matter much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread