Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Explorer claims sunken vessel
China trader wrecked in 1804
By Donna Goodison
Wednesday, September 2, 2009 - Updated 11h ago

Underwater explorer Barry Clifford, discoverer of the Whydah pirate ship that sank off Cape Cod in 1717, has his sights on another shipwreck.

The Provincetown treasure hunter is petitioning state and federal authorities to lay claim to the Semiramis - an estimated 120-foot, three-masted ship armed with 14 cannons that sank between Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket in 1804.

Built in the mid-1790s, the Semiramis is important from a historical standpoint because she was one of the first China traders, according to Clifford. The ship was headed to Newport, R.I., after a three-year voyage to China with a cargo - estimated to be worth $500,000 at the time - of silk, porcelain, tea and an undetermined amount of hard currency in the form of silver and possibly gold, according to research by Clifford’s historian, Ken Kinkor.

“I have no idea what that would be worth today,” said Clifford, who’s putting together an expedition to survey the shipwreck with Falmouth-based Teledyne Benthos. “There was only supposed to be minor salvage done to the shipwreck at the time. I would suspect that much of the ship is buried under the sand and would be in very good condition.”

That was Clifford’s experience with the Whydah, which he located in 1984 - said to be the first pirate ship ever discovered and authenticated. His team has removed more than 100,000 artifacts from the ship, some of which are on display at the Whydah Sea Lab & Learning Center in Provincetown.

On Monday, Clifford’s Vast Explorer Inc. filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Boston to gain exclusive salvage rights to the Semiramis. Clifford plans to keep any recovered artifacts as a collection for his museum, which he hopes to relocate to Newport.

Clifford first dove on the shipwreck in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when he and the late John F. Kennedy Jr. used to investigate the shoals around Martha’s Vineyard. “Before the heyday of people looking for shipwrecks, we would see sections of ships sticking out of the bottoms of the sandbars,” he said.

The Semiramis was returning from its second trip to China under Capt. Jacob Smith when it sank. “It was a very controversial shipwreck of the period, because a very large bank was involved in the funding of the project,” Clifford said.

The London banking firm of Bird, Savage & Bird had chartered and bankrolled the Semiramis’ voyage. It later filed for bankruptcy without paying off a loan written against its cargo, sparking a U.S. Supreme Court case filed by U.S. creditors.

I am the archaeologist on this project

Pirate diver

C

Cappy Z.

Thank you for posting this interesting article. Chinese ship off Marthas Vineyard sounds fascinating.

Keep us abreast of any developments Piratediver.

:icon_pirat:

4theMoney

Nov 1, 2008

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ossy, get over Spain's claim. Odyssey got the coins. Let them keep it! Tell me: why doesn't Spain claim the crown jewels found on the 1715 fleet?

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor6 said:
Ossy, get over Spain's claim. Odyssey got the coins. Let them keep it! Tell me: why doesn't Spain claim the crown jewels found on the 1715 fleet?
Salvor6 are the crown jewels in a museum? or in a private collectors hands?
Sorry piratediver, I wish you luck, keep us informed.
Ossy

OP
OP
P

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We know that SEMIRAMIS was from Newport as was her captain. Barry is now in discussions with city management to move his museum here also so this is all good for me since I work here too! BTW, China trader means it was involved in trade with China, not that it was a Chinese ship. The area it sank in is notorious for shifting sands and nasty currents, we believe it lies on a shoal between the beautiful islands of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Hopefully we can finish the survey before the gales of November come howling through.

I can post an article about the WHYDAH museum here if anyone is interested.

Pirate Diver

PDJ

Jul 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Whites DFX 300
PirateDiver
Please do. I'm in NE and would love to hear a little more about some shipwrecks up here.
PDJ

OP
OP
P

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PDj and Old Man: I promise to keep everyone in the loop. Say your prayers that we have decent weather from now until November and we should finish the survey and get some diving in for the purpose of identifying the wreck.

After Columbus Day most people take their boats out so the risk of getting run over is lessened but last week there were a couple of great whites lurking nearby so I hope they follow the warm water down to Florida!

Pirate Diver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread