Not All Good Finds Come From The Ground!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some of my all-time best finds have come from flea markets and auctions. Don't get me wrong, I love metal detecting and digging pieces of history from the ground, but some of the same treasures can be found hidden amongst the junk at flea markets and auctions. You just have to have the eye to spot them! I have been fortunate enough to find my fair share of bargains over the years and this post is going to showcase a couple of my best "finds".

My third best find came from a flea market in Kentucky last March. I was set up there selling old glassware and other collectibles. I had a few Civil War bullets on my table as well. An older gentleman came up, looked at the bullets and asked if I was interested in buying some Civil War relics that he had dug on his farm. I told him that I was interested, and we exchanged phone numbers. He came back later with a large box full of plastic bags and a couple of display cases. I looked through the box and asked him how much he wanted for them. He said he wanted $50 for the box. I gave him the money without hesitation. All in all there were several eagle buttons, part of a US plate, a bayonet, Union spur, a Confederate Block I button, some carved bullets, about 30 pounds of mixed dropped and fired lead, and a lot more stuff! My $50 investment ended up turning into over $400!

DSCN1180.JPG

DSCN1181.JPG

My second best find came from the same flea market last July. This time I was only there looking for good buys, and I found one! There was a guy set up in the far end of the lot who sets up there a few times a year. I've bought other Civil War items from him in the past for a good price, but I never would have guessed what was to be found this time! On one of his tables was a fairly large size brass bullet mold. I picked it up and knew immediately that it was a Civil War era Enfield bullet mold! I asked him how much and he replied with $10! I think it scared him with how fast I had the money in his hand. Once I got back to the car I noticed that it was marked "L.A.C." which stands for "London Armoury Company." It was in excellent shape and still cast a nice Enfield bullet! I ended up selling it online for a cool $700! Not bad for a $10 piece of brass...

Picture 076.jpg

Picture 080.jpg

My single best find came just a little over a week ago on New Years Day. The lady and I had hit up a couple of flea markets and then decided to go to an auction to occupy the rest of our day. There was an annual New Years auction in Louisville, so that's where we went. Once there we found the place packed beyond belief! The auction started and almost all the items were going way above retail price and we debated on whether or not to stay. There were a few items I wanted to bid on, so we waited. After a while (three or four hours) the auctioneer told us that if we saw something that we wanted to bid on to let his employees know and they will put them up. I told one of the guys that I wanted these two antique clocks put up and he said no problem. After another hour the clocks had still not been put up and we were tired of being there. I went back up and took another look at the clocks and decided that I could live without them. As I looked up from the table, a small black colored object caught my eye on another table in the back of the room. It was a Civil War James shell!! I went back to that table and picked up the shell thinking it was a resin copy, so I was surprised to feel that it was heavy! I set it next to the auctioneer and within five minutes he held it up and said "you're buying this big bullet." The bidding started out at $10, and I was the winning bidder at $25!! This is the one shell that I have always wanted in my collection, but never thought I would find one. I had someone offer me $1500 for it, but turned him down because I knew that I am never going to find one in this kind of condition again!

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Anyway, I apologize for the long post, but it serves to remind you that amazing pieces of history can be found at flea markets, yard sales and auctions. You just have to keep your eyes open! If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and Happy Hunting!!

PinFire

Attachments

• DSCN1180.JPG
    DSCN1180.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 651
  • DSCN1181.JPG
    DSCN1181.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 646
  • Picture 076.jpg
    Picture 076.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 696
  • Picture 080.jpg
    Picture 080.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 683
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 688
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 689
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 681
Upvote 0

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinfire,

Never hunted a flea market/swap meet but looks like that is going on my bucket list. Great story. Great pics.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Pinfire. I love going out to farm autions, alot of times they have big boxes full of stuff and it goes for real cheap. You never know what you might find in a "mystery box". Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread