Not bad for$2.64

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got these today at one of the local thrift store's...necklace has an enamled ilse of man souviner charm,1883 v nickle(what are they called again?/used as fake $5.00 gold)that has been turned into a charm/ornament&a 1959 Cameron County 1959 dog liscense,and last but not least the cool little roman helmet type ashtray,backstamp Japan,like i said"Not bad for$2.64).Thank's for looking&listening!

Attachments

• 2 572.jpg
    2 572.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 571
Upvote 0

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Here is one of the stories on those 1883 No Cents...

A man named Josh Tatum, who was accused of passing "Racketeer Nickels" in Boston. Mr. Tatum was unable to either hear or speak, so he never actually said that what looked like five-dollar gold pieces were really gold-plated nickels -- he just gave them to clerks and accepted whatever change was given him.

HH Robert

OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bertman said:
Here is one of the stories on those 1883 No Cents...

A man named Josh Tatum, who was accused of passing "Racketeer Nickels" in Boston. Mr. Tatum was unable to either hear or speak, so he never actually said that what looked like five-dollar gold pieces were really gold-plated nickels -- he just gave them to clerks and accepted whatever change was given him.

HH Robert
Hmm,interesting tale/story!

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a bit more to the Josh Tatum story.
"The most famous criminal case about altered 5 cent coins involved a deaf mute named Josh Tatum. He would go to cigar stands and purchase a 5c cigar and pay with a gold plated, hand reeded nickel. The attendant would assume that it was a $5 gold piece and give Josh $4.95 change. His lawyers got him acquitted since he never said that the coin was $5...he couldn't. The Mint had learned its lesson and the following year put the word "cents" at the bottom of the reverse."
It is also said this is where the phrase was coined "I was just Joshin' ya".
Of course, this is just legend as far as I know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread