Not dug silver, but next best thing...

bwilly36

Apr 1, 2005
Marion, IA
Well, last nite I was bartending at the Olive Garden (great place to find older coins...the cash register) and looked in the cash drawer...1964 canadian penny and 1946 nickel. At that point, thought I had done alright & wasn't expecting anything more for the night. We closed up & I stopped at the Quik Trip on the way home to get my favorite skoal treat...getting out of the truck found 3 clad lincolns in my parking spot...not much but better than nothing. Went inside & made my purchase & in my change from the cashier, a 1937 mercury dime. At that point, I just got a big grin...and asked the cashier if he didn't mind reopening his cash drawer & looking to see if he had any other "funny" looking coins like this one...I showed him the dime & he asked if it was real. I said yes, just "kinda" old & "I would like that back, thank you." I should have bought a powerball ticket right away :)

HH

bwilly

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bwilly36

Apr 1, 2005
Marion, IA
Well, the Olive Garden cash drawer hits again. Couple weeks ago, found a 56 Rosie, two nights ago 53 Jeff nickel and last night, 43-S washington quarter. Just love free silver!

OP
OP
B

bwilly36

Apr 1, 2005
Marion, IA
Once again, cash drawer was nice to me. '37 Buffalo nickel this time. Not silver but still fun to find. Extremely readable date & some nice toning on the front. :icon_profileleft: :icon_profileright:

Obscurist

Jan 14, 2009
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I work in a restaurant and usually manage a couple wheat pennies a week, but got a rare silver Roosie last month ('62). I have NEVER gotten a Merc or older type silver coin in change. Some guys are so sharp on scooping up the oldies that they can hear the silver in the register when the drawer opens... or so I've been told.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread