vp6e75d[1].jpg

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does kinda sorta resemble old phurba and dorje.
Weirder stuff has been found in American soil.

Upvote 0

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently become curious about the rectangular opening found on some...
(Old wood examples)
Screenshot_20240413-122206.png Screenshot_20240413-122131.png

Upvote 0

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm assuming from discussion so far that the rectangular hole is the only hole in the object(?)

The bottom tapered part is "square-ish"? It appears this thing was supposed to fit into/onto something else up to the base of the taper, BUT the (pointed) top doesn't look like it was supposed to be hammered down.

So I'm thinking it was mounted on/in something else, and some kind of rod or bar went cross-wise through the hole...

Could this have been part of a small scale/balance? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a wild guess based on the square part, could it be a spindle for a door lock set/knob?,
The square part would go inside through a escutcheon and into the "bolt" and the handle/lever would be into the square hole.

Upvote 1

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While watching a TV show tonight I could not help but notice a similarity in basic form as a train conductor closed a sliding door on a cargo car, flipped a hasp closed and inserted this pin into the loop. Certainly a much cruder implement, but it does suggest a function for your item, securing some type of latch. It has a large hole for the ring and chain keeper attachment, and although it's not clear in these photos, the bottom pin was also tapered. Just caught my eye. I also like the idea of it being a key, as suggested by AU Seeker. Turned horizontally, with a handle attached through the rectangular hole it's easy to picture.
20240413_141523.jpg
20240413_141807.jpg

Upvote 0

Jack873

Nov 13, 2011
Willow Grove, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a spot perpendicular to the rectangular cutout that looks like it could be used for a set screw?
The closest thing I can find is the center axis portion of a leather circle cutter.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.png

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there very tiny scratched in engravings on the top part?

Upvote 0

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds me of two things-

1- The inside of a water tap from a small gravity fed reservoir. Like a samovar but different.
The tapered square part would have a handle set onto it.

2- A rifle cleaning jag. It's not threaded, but not all of them were, some were just set into a dowel.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the tapered end went into a wooden handle and it was used as a tool of some sort? Sorry, that's all I have!

Upvote 1

Jack873

Nov 13, 2011
Willow Grove, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the tapered end went into a wooden handle and it was used as a tool of some sort? Sorry, that's all I have!
The tapered end is the same as those auger/drill bits for those antique hand drills. I'm betting it's to be placed into into some kind of chuck, which is why I think has something to do with my previous post. Whether or not it is from an adjustable circle cutter for leather I'm not sure, but it's something similar.

s-l1600.webp

Edit: Just realized there are T-handles that accept those bits as well.

Upvote 1

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The tapered end is the same as those auger/drill bits for those antique hand drills. I'm betting it's to be placed into into some kind of chuck, which is why I think has something to do with my previous post. Whether or not it is from an adjustable circle cutter for leather I'm not sure, but it's something similar.

s-l1600.webp

I think you are correct. That might have came out of the Chuck of a lathe. Could have been something someone just spun and cut for some reason, and we will never know why.

But they did put that sloted hole in the side of it for some reason 🤔

Upvote 0

coast40

Apr 3, 2015
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Simplex Lite, AT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Fisher F2, TRXs, CarrotZ, Lesche diggers, Bobcat excavator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

s-l1600.webp

I would determine if the squared section is identical in dimension to a brace and bit.

Upvote 2

Jack873

Nov 13, 2011
Willow Grove, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would determine if the squared section is identical in dimension to a brace and bit.

Given the size (3" long and diameter of a pencil), it may not be a a complete match in the dimensions of an actual auger bit as I don't think it was meant to be used in a brace and bit or lathe as it has a fairly ornate design. I'd say that it was a small hand tool with maybe a small t-handle attachment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions