Not exactly todays finds but just got them scanned.....

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I found a big box of old photos about to go into the trash. Old photos are kind of a hobby of mine and I pick them up whenever I have a chance, and I just looked through them and filed the box away. A couple weeks ago I started going through them again and pulled these three out which really caught my interest. They are all of the same man, an African American soldier in WW2. With a little research here I've identified him as Arnold "Nollie" Duronselet, he was a New Orleans native and worked for the post office after the war until he retired. Nollie passed in 1996 at the age of 77.

My plan is to contact the National WW2 Museum to see if they might be interested in these photos for their collection, but I wanted to try to find out more about him first. I'd really appreciate any help anyone might be able to give in piecing together more of his wartime story. The large photo is dated Nov. 19 1943 North Africa, and one of the smaller which is a post card has a nice not to his sister from Germany dated on VJ day. I'm sure there's a good story waiting to be told here.

Attachments

• Nollie1.jpg
    Nollie1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Nollie2.jpg
    Nollie2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 98
  • Nollie3.jpg
    Nollie3.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 2

Krosp1718

Greenie
Sep 10, 2012
Federal Way
Detector(s) used
:(
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
He sure looks like he is wearing some Corps castles. I would start with Engineering Aviation Battalions in the MTO in late '43. Shelby Stanton's "Order Of Battle World War II" might be of help.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
How sad the pics ended up in the trash. I'm so glad you rescued them. thank you.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sure looks like he is wearing some Corps castles. I would start with Engineering Aviation Battalions in the MTO in late '43. Shelby Stanton's "Order Of Battle World War II" might be of help.

I can make out the C.O.E. disk but I can't figure out what the smaller pin is below it....It's got me stumped.....

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Krosp1718

Greenie
Sep 10, 2012
Federal Way
Detector(s) used
:(
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The smaller pin looks like it might be a Corps castle without the disc. I don't know why they would be duplicated, but my knowledge of the intricacies of Army uniforms is severely lacking. I do know the Corps also has it's own coat button and is the only entity to do so.

castle.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread