Not feeling very much appreciated

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hesitate to post this but I'm going to... so flame on! I'm a big boy, I can take it.

The setup.
I went into a brank of my bank yesterday to make a deposit. I happen to notice that the merchant teller has some halves in his tray, some of which are quite obviously silver. But he's away on break so I ask if he will be back soon. The assistant branch manager asks me why I want to know to which I say I want to buy coins. She goes and checks to see when he will return. She comes back and tells me that it will be 15 minutes and that I'm welcome to have a seat. I think that's reasonable so I stick around.

The shaft.
So he returns and I ask to purchase ALL of his half dollars as well as his dollar coins (there's some SBAs in there and I also collect the rare variety of those). He says sure thing and then proceeds to pick from the halves all the silver coins and set those aside. Now, I know what you're thinking, get over it, he's sniping in front of you, it happens, move along, there's nothing to see here. Except that isn't what he's doing exactly. I ask why I can't have those as well and he tells me he's saving those for another customer that called that morning and asked, I kid you not, for the merchant teller to save all the SILVER coins for him so he can come by and get them later that day. My argument is that I'm right there, right now, and a customer with a rather large deposit with the bank (6 digits in 2 accounts). He doesn't give in. So I walk away.

The turnaround.
But as I'm going to do the door, I'm thinking to myself "I'm the customer here, I don't know if this other guy is a customer or not, I don't know if he's going to show up or not." Frankly I'm rather pissed because I'm tired of being spurned by banks pulling this crap on me. I simply find it wildly unprofessional. If youā€™re going to snipe, do it before Iā€™m in line. When Iā€™m standing in front of the teller, I demand their service. Itā€™s not too much to ask.

So I go back to the assistant bank manager and let her know that I don't appreciate being told no when I want to buy coins that are in a teller's tray. As a customer, in the bank with cash in my hands, I don't believe they have any reasonable excuse not to exchange them with me if they value my business at all. She completely defends the teller's refusal and even more, acts like I'm being completely unreasonable and itā€™s beneath her to be approached by such a complaint. Well, this doesn't sit well with me either so I ask to speak with the bank manager. He's not there but I got a phone number (which is actually the bank's main number; I do not understand why a bank manager wouldn't have a direct line and voicemail but that's how they run their business). So I have a call in with him to further complain. Whatever happiness they delivered to this other person, I can assure you that my displeasure was at least double. A model of customer service.

The rub.
In truth, I'm pissed because I didn't feel that they appreciated my business at all. I recognize that the solution is to move my business to another bank. I'm making arrangements to do exactly that, at least partially, so thereā€™s no need to advise me on this point. This isn't a bank where I've abused the staff or visit all too often. In fact, I believe I've only cashed in 2 boxes of half dollars during the last year and maybe 4 or 5 boxes of dimes.

Second, what really fired me up is that when the teller put the coins aside, I could see that they were Franklins and Walkers. Now, I've found a few Franklins, less than 20 as I've not yet filled a roll. But I have never found a Walker. I have some because I purchased them as they are my favorite design but I've not had the luxury of finding one. To be soo close and denied, that was too much. I usually take my lumps fairly well but not yesterday.

The result.
So I've found a new dump bank is the net of this. And I lost the opportunity to own a few really cool coins. I know there are greater injustices in the world and I know that it's irrational to get so fired up about this. If I had known that I would lose sleep over this hobby, I might not have started it however badly I needed a constructive hobby.

Oh, and if you're the guy that is calling banks asking them to save their silver coins, I have two things to say. First, kudos to you for finding a bank that would actually do that. I think it's amazing. And second, you're a complete idiot that has probably shut down coin collecting/silver hunting for a great number of people. Way to educate the teller staff. Finally, I'm definitely going to go back to the bank and fully educate them on how to purchase the silver coins themselves and walk, literally, across the street to the coin shop and sell them for profit. You deserve to have your silver pipeline turned off due to your sheer stupidity.

Rant off. Catharsis achieved (at least somewhat).

On the good news front, I got an ā€˜Aā€™ in a class that was lagging behind in getting grades to the registrar. That should move me up in my law school class to the top 10 percent. Now I need to stay there to graduate magna cum laude. Iā€™m going to focus on that today and not on plotting my revenge on my bank (that can consume a lot of time and energy; it's not at all constructive).

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice post, i agree with you about switching banks... give your business to a bank that appreciates you!
HH
Buff

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel for you. Seeing Franklins and Walkers would have pushed me over the edge as well. Sad part is that the teller probably lied to you and was saving the coins for himself. Dump hard and dump often. Give that teller more halves than he can handle.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting and bitter story. Hope you recover emotionally, the fight and complaints are not worth you nerves and energy. Just move on to another bank and make this one a dump bank. I know it hurts so bad when you see a silver among the clad and it is pulled away right in front of your face.
This is a very unprofessional nor true reason for personal culling of silver for that teller. They like to use an imaginary customer just as an excuse to justify their far more questionable actions.
Keep on going and don't waste your time such complaints.

P.S Whoever that CRH or imaginary person is, he is a bad :"{}@#er A$^%^er((( He may not even understand that he is ruining every ones else hobby.

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a hot head, so I would have gave it to the BM or whoever you spoke with. Good for you for keeping your cool. I would have asked to make a large withdrawl but keep the account open so I could still dump there until they cut me off.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
If you have 6 figures in 2 accounts, you need to go back there and ask them for a bank check to move your funds to your new bank that treats you better. I'd then make it a point to call the district manager and let them know that this branch manager cost them a six figure account.

Knowing that I'd never see a single silver from this bank, I'd proceed to tell the teller what they are worth so that the other fool wouldn't get them either. I'm spiteful like that.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have 6 figures in 2 accounts, you need to go back there and ask them for a bank check to move your funds to your new bank that treats you better. I'd then make it a point to call the district manager and let them know that this branch manager cost them a six figure account.

Knowing that I'd never see a single silver from this bank, I'd proceed to tell the teller what they are worth so that the other fool wouldn't get them either. I'm spiteful like that.
Yeah, this is what I'd do right here... If you're wealthy enough to have 6 figures deposited there, they best be kissing your butt as much as they possibly can.

Funny cause the other guy might not even have an account.

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SilverJack,

Sorry to hear this and a few other similar stories here. Its only been a couple months that I've taken much notice in the value of coins. Several months after joining this site. After reading of these tellers who are coin hunting right in front of people, etc, I remembered something that happened to me at a teller's window and I wasn't even aware of "what change" I would get back.

I cashed a check and was getting the bills and maybe 85 cents back. Well the teller started sliding coins off to her right then taking more coins out and sliding a couple more to her right and says "There you go..."(smiling)" I quizzically looked at her and said "Whats wrong with Those coins"! and she said, "Oh, they're Old, we have to take them out of circulation"! I laughed and said "Well, I want them, I don't care, ..I'll take them"...and laughed... She said "No...they have to be taken out of circulation"!...(Me).."Oh, I thought that just applied to ripped dollar bills"...Nope, old coins too, she said. (sing/song voice)

And here I thought she was such a nice lady all this time...When something doesn't "sit" well for some reason, just know there's a reason...This experience will help your "Radar" skills when practicing law...

MinerGirl

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make it rain with you coins dumps.......well.....more like, make it hail with your coin dumps on this bank.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi SilverJack,

I cashed a check and was getting the bills and maybe 85 cents back. Well the teller started sliding coins off to her right then taking more coins out and sliding a couple more to her right and says "There you go..."(smiling)" I quizzically looked at her and said "Whats wrong with Those coins"! and she said, "Oh, they're Old, we have to take them out of circulation"! I laughed and said "Well, I want them, I don't care, ..I'll take them"...and laughed... She said "No...they have to be taken out of circulation"!...(Me).."Oh, I thought that just applied to ripped dollar bills"...Nope, old coins too, she said. (sing/song voice)

And here I thought she was such a nice lady all this time...When something doesn't "sit" well for some reason, just know there's a reason...This experience will help your "Radar" skills when practicing law...

MinerGirl

I don't know what the teller you were dealing with was doing, but they really do have to pull damaged or dirty coins. If they are just old, then no, they don't need to pull those. Your gut feeling is probably right in this case if it was multiple coins and they looked fine.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turn all nasty up this bank's face!!

pull your funds and go to a new bank and make sure the VP signs you up and agrees to order you boxes every week!!

time for the fool tellers to know they there to serve.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that you are in law school. I would surely draw up some sort of legal rules and regulations of roll hunting, and make sure that the teller gets a copy.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I find it unusual that someone defended the tellers position on saving silver for another customer. That is something that a manager in these parts just wouldn't do. If they did want to save something, they would set it aside and out of view. Not keep it in the same ****ing tray as all of the others. Sorry for your loss man. As it has never happened to me, I understand the frustration you must have been feeling, especially over a walker!

Bunky211

May 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and if you're the guy that is calling banks asking them to save their silver coins, I have two things to say. First, kudos to you for finding a bank that would actually do that. I think it's amazing. And second, you're a complete idiot that has probably shut down coin collecting/silver hunting for a great number of people. Way to educate the teller staff. Finally, I'm definitely going to go back to the bank and fully educate them on how to purchase the silver coins themselves and walk, literally, across the street to the coin shop and sell them for profit. You deserve to have your silver pipeline turned off due to your sheer stupidity.

I think it is maybe a bit naive to think he really educated the tellers on the silver. Pretty sure most bank tellers know coins used to be made of silver they maybe just don't know the value?

I guess I am in the minority here but think if someone calls and makes an arangement with the teller another person would have no right to step in front of them and claim their finds? How would you like it if you called your bank who you have developed a relationship for xx amount of years, and they tell you that someone just dropped off some coins and they agree to hold the silver for you. Then by the time you get there they tell you someone just came in and grabbed them? You would probably make a similiar complaint on this forum on how the banks are unfair and they sold your coins to someone else, yeah?

It is kinda nice to see people with large 6 figure bank accounts to be treated like regular customers. Kind of a reality check I guess, you are no better than the person whose account is negative.

Bunky211

May 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW chances are that teller went home with some silver in their pocket

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing! I would turn them in with a phone call. And let them know your moving your $$ Take the fish hooks out of your pockets and pick up a few 1000 oz bars!! And dump hard with orange coins!!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like someone allready beat you to befreinding a teller to save silver for them, I don't agree with leaving it out in the open for customers to see either and then be refused, but, If it was a teller that was keeping them for you, then I'm sure you'd want the teller to tell to say the same thing to someone else asking about the coin she's saving for you. Again, I say, don't burn bridges, unless you can afford to. The hobby is getting harder to do now, so, IMHO, I say make less comotion about it so we can keep on stackin. Just my 2 copper cents. Good luck and keep stackin.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
chances are with a coin shop - right across the road and with them knowing what silver is * --that the "other customer" doesn't even exist * -- they just used it as a excuse to silver snipe right in front of you --- I agree if they want to silver snipe as a "job perk" fine but please do not leave silver out in plain veiw then yank it out as you count out "MY" HALVES --after I have clearly asked for ALL the halves in your tray (to get the silver ones duh) -- tellers that try that on me get --" if your going to cull "my silver" you can keep "your clad" as well",--- from me. -- plus Ii do tell their manager , because its RUDE to silver snipe in front of a customer * its poor form to tease folks like that.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread