Not for the faint of heart!

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looked up from our creek today to see this nearly level with my head! I'm pretty sure this is a HUGE mama wolf spider with MANY spiderlings on her back. My granddaughter noticed the egg sac on our little bridge some time ago, but I wasn't sure what it was. The spider was so still that I wasn't sure if she was alive so I just put a little stick in front of her face and yikes at the huge fangs that came out! They are not venemous, but they will sure hurt if they bite you. I was interested to find out she will have the spiderlings on her back all summer and they will overwinter together. If what I read is correct it will be next summer before they leave to go off on their own. You never know what is going to turn up on our farm.

Attachments

• fangs.jpg
    fangs.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to watch them hunt,they ambush prey as it wanders by that funnel web of theirs.

GOD Bless

Chris

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one ugly horrid critter. When I was a kid here living with my grandmother, as I'd go outside she always said "Watch out for the spiders". To this day I watch out for the spiders :(

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only seen that once...on my kitchen floor in Oklahoma City. I had gotten up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water ( without my glasses ) and happened to see an oddly shaped dark thing in front of the fridge. Bending over to get a closer look, I saw it was a spider and being barefoot, I grabbed a can of bug spray from a cabinet. As soon as the spray hit it, all these little things jumped from the back and started spreading to the wind. I think I probably drowned them since I was so startled and intent on not letting ANY get away :laughing7:. I am inclined to live and let live out in nature, but in the house...it's you or me buster!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black hornets stalk and hunt those guys around my house.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice pic!
Jim

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy moly,that is one big spider! The other day my husband threw down the top of a tomato on the floor in the kitchen and feigned terror. I kid you not I was up on the couch in about five seconds and didn't look long enough to see "it" only had six legs.

image.jpeg

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Her name is Virginia. She's a good spider... unless you piss her off. She bit a stick in half.. the equivalent of us biting a telephone pole in half.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread