Not Happy. Stolen detector

dhearn

Jan 3, 2012
Sallisbury MD
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to go detecting this morning. I haven't been in a while. We recently moved and my detector was in storage. I was just in the storage unit last Tuesday. When their this morning and the latch that the lock was hooked to was mangled all up and the lock was laying 50ft away. The bad thing is I had put the detector back into the original box along with the receipt from when I bought it. Not only did they get my detector they got 2 small outboard that belonged to my grandfather. Of course the storage facility is not responsible for any of it. Mean while I'm out over 2000.00 dollars for just the detector let alone the sentimental value of the outboards. They were not really worth alot, only to me. I really don't know what to do at this point. I police say theirs not really a lot they can do. Being the storage facility had no camera's. Have any of you had experience with this kind of thing.. :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Hate to hear that. I assumed all of these places had cameras for things like this. I hope something works out for you and somebody comes forward with an answer.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your eye on local and surrounding area craigslist ads you might spot your stuff If you can get a copy of receipt for detector in case you do spot your stuff.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have home owners insurance, many times it covers it...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear, Not good at all! Anything near that might have camera's, looking into the lot..wonder if it might go under home owners? I just surprised that the place has no cams...

I went detecting a crime scene today, was asked to see if I could recover missing jewelry. The thief's carried a gun safe a few blocks into the woods and broke it open, only one gun was inside but several other valuable's..I got a few stray pieces today but nothing of great value... This was in Annapolis And two of the thief's were caught when they tried to break into another house and the owner was home... these guys were caught because the one had a laptop that belonged to the owner of the first house, the police felt there were more then two involved. Some of there stuff has shown up at a local paw shop also and was recovered....

Hopefully your stuff might show up, Good luck..

And It was my first land hunt in over ten years...rusty to say the least.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is why I have always said when these miscreants get caught....castrate em....the gene pool has a big enuf shallow end already

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was the detector registered ? Track the serial number down and give to police. Check local pawn shops

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sucks that this storage facility has no responsibility. And no cameras? At a place where others are storing valuable personal items? Very strange. I guess a lesson for all of us here is to do your homework on these storage facilities. I once had a jeep at a big dealership that was broken into. They stole my stereo. The dealership said sorry were not liable. I had to call a lawyer to get them to just reimburse me the cost of the stereo. Pretty sad. Hopefully you have the serial number of the machine or it's on record with the company. I'm assuming the outboards are set so there shouldn't be many of those around. Just give as much info as possible to the cops and keep your eyes open. We have a local faculty here that's all indoors and is like Fort Knox. Probably expensive but maybe worth it depending what you have. Good luck

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Treasure Hunter nailed it. If you have homeowners insurance
the odds are you have some level of coverage for the items
in storage.

Had the same thing happen to me about 20 years ago. Busted
the lock off and helped themselves to my Compass 420 detector,
2 custom longbows I'd made myself plus another Hoyt compound.
That was in addition to a load of odds and ends.

Called the insurance company and explained what happened,
and then submitted a listing of the stolen items. Got a check
in the mail from them that covered about 75% of the replacement
cost of the lot. Can't replace those longbows and hand-doweled
cedar shafts. Bought me a new high-end compound as a replacement,
and hated the thing..ended up building another longbow and sold
the compound.

All that to say that you do have recourse providing you have
homeowners ins.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a Whites Golden Eagle stolen along with a car and 40 pounds of clean laundry back in /92, the detector looked like a rifle when it was in the long carrying case. Somebody might have spotted me putting it in the trunk and made off with the car. The car was recovered some months later in Montreal empty and I was lucky enough that the home insurance took care of the loss.

Usually the home insurance will cover things that are in the car, or in a shed on the property, but once it's stored off the property as in your case, a person has to take out a rider on the policy for coverage. It doesn't hurt to check if you do have a policy.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should definitely get it reported, call where you purchased from and get registration info....there was a guy on craigslist who had one stolen out of his car in Raleigh a little over a month ago, three days later it was recovered by police at a pawn shop, so don't loose hope just yet!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....... Have any of you had experience with this kind of thing....

That totally bites :( Sorry to hear about that dhearn :( Yeah I've had about 4 or 5 detectors stolen over the 35+ yrs. I've been into this. One time they busted out my truck window, to reach in and get the detector. 2 other times my truck-tool-box lock was cut with bolt-cutters, and stuff stolen (inc. detectors I'd had in there).

Finally now I've installed a truck alarm, which also has my tool-box wired. That's sad that we have to go to those lengths to stop thefts nowadays :(

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear of your loss. I've been the victim of several theiveries, hate thieves with a passion and would be happy to introduce them to my 1911 should the occasion ever come about. Check the pawns and CL as I'm sure they wouldn't use them themselves, too much work involved MD'ing, and probably too lazy to fish either.

Nobleone

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett pin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned above, go to all the pawn owners and show them manufacturers pic from the web to see if anyone tried to sell it. They may have said no. They can give you the video of the day of the attempted sale or even the ID if the guy is a regular. My son had his scooter stolen last year. luckily I found a 17yr old riding it in town and it was......ah...."recovered". Good luck on your search.

Nobleone

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett pin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PepperJ, what part of this great nation do you hang your hat? Just waiting for the thaw but going to Punta Cana next month to feed the animal.

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Mountains of West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Sun-Ray DX1 Probe, White's XLT, Sun-Ray XL1 Probe, White's Coin Master Pro, White's Coin Master 2900 Trooper, White's Coin Master 2DB Series 2, White's 120mm Bullseye Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A thief is one of the lowest forms of life on this Earth!! Sorry for your loss.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always check craigslist. At least 2% of all things for sale on that website are stolen goods.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate loss. I would definately check CL and all the pawn shops in the area. I had a storage rental and had to provide my own insurance.
Theives are the worst kind of people that affects us all!
Hope they're caught!

OP
OP
D

dhearn

Jan 3, 2012
Sallisbury MD
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea it really sucks. I didnt realize it the other day but they got my sons detector to. He is 10 and started detecting with me last spring so I bought him a Ace 250 thats not to bad to replace. but my CTX 3030 is harder for me to bite right now. I wish they could have just left his detector, its hard to see him so upset about it. He really did enjoy metal detecting. I filled a report with the police and they could act like they could care less about anything. They said the average on recovering stolen property is about 10% of the time. I didnt have any renters insurance so I cant go that rout. I ordered a new ace 250 for my son today, it should be here sometime next week. People who do this kind of stuff dont realize how hard people have to work to buy these detectors. They will prob sell my 2000 dollar machine for a few hundred dolllars if even that much.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope your able to recover them or at least they are covered by insurance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread