Not lead but - not brass - but likely to leave a mark!

Paul of Mo

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2010
Greetings!

I do not post much but I do visit this site often and enjoy it greatly!

A few months ago I found an old Mexican coin made into a heroin spoon and yesterday fairly close to the same spot I got a big hit on my F5 and at 10 inches I dug up these.

They are harder than lead but very heavy - I would not want to be on the receiving end of a beat down by these babies.

Both items were deep, the coin is from 1892, and none of the old timers on the road remember anything being at that site on our property. I am only finding old square nails and nothing modern in this specific spot - very odd.

Happy hunting to all!

- Paul

Attachments

• Knuckles.jpg
    Knuckles.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 434
Upvote 0

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
That is a different type of find... Think I might leave that area alone after some finds like that. ;D

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
wow, very cool finds! i'd only be putting the headphones on one ear in that spot though! and watching over my back often ;D

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Well, 10 inches deep means to me that it's been a while since that thing was dropped! Cool find! :icon_thumleft:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fun finds...if it was 10 inches deep it was a tough place a long time ago...may not be anymore. Good luck and be safe.

NJ

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very neat and different type of finds.... :icon_thumright:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome find!!I have seen several surface in 1850's camps.I am waiting for mine!!!!A set of those are at the top of my list!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

Paul of Mo

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for all the replies - this is what makes MD'g fun.

I found the link to the "silver and hash" item interesting. It does look very much like what I found. I do think this one is much older as it was 8 to 10 inches deep on the edge of a farm field. Like the knuckles it was in deep and in undisturbed soil. It is also very crudely made.

My son and I went back out to the same area tonight and found a musket ball that is just a hair over 1/2 inch across - you can see the mold seam and where they cut the pour off the ball - it was 7 inches down. A few feet from that we found a small harmonica reed at the same depth. There is simply nothing shallow or anything new in this 20 x 20 area. About 100 yards from this spot was an 1870's log cabin at one time. The original barn is still standing behind where the cabin was and I have pulled several hundred pounds of interesting old iron from that area. There is very little between the two spots even in all metal mode.

This area is as close to living in a Norman Rockwell painting as you can get. Rolling farms that have been in the same families for hundreds of years, wineries, old churches, and cows - lots of cows.

I wish these things could talk!

- Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread