Not More Junk!.......What? OMG Its Dirt Ice!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not More Junk!.......What? OMG It's Dirt Ice!

I sadly lost my Mom to cancer recently and have not been posting here for a while. A few days after the funeral I badly needed some peace of mind that only getting out with my Explorer SE Pro can do. I'd just started to detect an historic house that goes back to the early 1800's. Hoping to find older coins and relics was my interest though a flat button and a beautiful 2-cent piece that was virtually laying near the top of the ground were the only things worth mentioning from a prior trip there until this find. This item was the last thing I expected to find at an historic home, much less in the dirt. I have seen the wealth of booty that the beach detectorists find, but finding a ring in the dirt, much less one like this, really threw me. This is the first ring like this I have ever found in 12 years of detecting.

I had, just a foot or so away, dug a semi-junk signal that turned out to be a short segment of heavy copper wire. I'm digging most repeatable signals here as you never know what will turn up, especially after the 2-cent piece which was almost lying on the surface. OK, I get another junk signal, but it repeats well. It's hot out (~90s) and I am reluctant to dig as it's only about 3 inches deep and I'm getting tired. It's probably another segment of that copper wire, but I decide to clear it out anyway. After not digging the plug very carefully in haste, I catch a glipse of something in the bottom of the hole which at first I thought was gold foil or one of those gold colored metal crowns that sits atop of the old fashioned glass christmas ball ornaments we used in the 60s and 70s. Then I realized it was much more--a gold ring! It wasn't until I actually picked it up did I notice that it contained ice! Six oval diamonds in a really nice setting. Stunned--as this was one of the last things I ever expected to find at this site--I just sat there and stared at it. I didn't want to try cleaning it much in the field for fear of scratching it. I was sure it was real gold as it came out of the ground very clean and untarnished, but not sure about the stones. I was just really happy that when I dug the plug to get to this "junk" I didn't put my shovel right into it!!

I had a difficult time concentrating on the detecting after that and quit after a few more minutes at this site for the evening. The last few weeks had brought so much sadness and though this did not erase any of it or make the loss of my Mom any easier, it was a bit of a nice distraction to find a ring like this. I gently washed it up at home with soap and water and could see 18K and a serial number stamped on the inside. The stones were very sparkly and I was sure they were real, but had to verify it with a jeweler first before posting here (I will return it if I can find the owner which I feel is unlikely).

It turns out that all six diamonds are real and in an 18K setting with a makers mark that is barely visible. Each stone is an unusual oval cut at approximately .30 carats making a combined 1.8 carats total carat weight. The jeweler appraised the ring for approximately $2500! I have never been into metal detecting for the money, but purely the historical aspect of it. I had often showed some of my more interesting finds to my Mom from time to time when she visitted my house. I'm sure this one would have put a big smile on her face. I wish I could just hand it to her and say--it's yours Mom!

Thanks for reading this long post and enjoy the pics!

Best, Erik

Attachments

• In The Hole 1.JPG
    In The Hole 1.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 169
  • In The Hole 2.JPG
    In The Hole 2.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Side View 4.JPG
    Side View 4.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 189
  • Side View 1.JPG
    Side View 1.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 191
  • Side View 2.JPG
    Side View 2.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Upvote 8

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, that sure is a beautiful ring!! I hope I get that lucky one day! And also I'm sorry about the loss of your mom!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
That's real nice. I think a ring like that just made the banner

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!! Excellent find! Your detector is paid for...Unless you own one of them new fancy Things with the GPS on it..

HH,

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had often showed some of my more interesting finds to my Mom from time to time when she visitted my house. I'm sure this one would have put a big smile on her face. I wish I could just hand it to her and say--it's yours Mom!

I'd like to believe that your mom DOES know of this ring and she's probably helping you on your hunts now.

Excellent find!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
i'm so sorry for your loss. My sister is suffering with terminal cancer right now so I know how tough it is. The only thing good is that detecting really helps to clear your head. You have a fantastic find. congrats!

Meatmechanic

Greenie
Jun 4, 2012
Dover De
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro , whites pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the loss of your mom , but she is going to guide you to many treasures . MM

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice find and even nicer story!

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Very sorry to hear about your loss, a lot of times when I pull a surprising find from the ground that I didn't expect I look up and say "Thanks mom" , I always feel her presents when it is needed and I think she does the same. Awesome RING!!!!

TommNJ

Last edited:

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your mom. I too lost mom to cancer 15 years ago. She's definitely with you and smiling ear to ear. Way to
go on a beautiful ring.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful Ring,sorry about r mom , Time Heals

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a special ring/good luck cham from your mom!!!!!

SnT

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone so far for all of your kind words both for the find and for my Mom. I really appreciate it!

Best, Erik

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story, nice ring and nice "I wish I could just hand it to her and say--it's yours Mom!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread