Not sure if I should be concerned or not...

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
I picked up two boxes of halves. They came in the flat 5x10 style box that usually contain the yellow rolls that are crimped on both ends (String & son). This time however the rolls looked like they were hand rolled. They used the brown Coin-tainer rolls that I usually get when I ask a teller for empty rolls. Got them home and the flap that I usually tear off is glued on so strongly that I have to tear the box itself. In addition, one of the boxes had five rolls that weren't cointainer rolls (they were the brown ones with the triple diamond design). Both boxes were skunk (which isn't surprising of late). Though I found a 2004D that was in great shape without looking to hard (edge searching by that point).

Up to this point I have had a really good relationship with this branch of a fairly large chain and have always received excellent service there.

So. What could be the cause of this? Did the coin rolling machine break? Is someone in the food chain opening, searching, re-rolling, and re-gluing boxes?

I am going to talk to the head teller next week to let her know that if hand rolled boxes are my only option then I won't be ordering them ( I am so certain that will break their hearts :wink:).

Any thoughts? Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Sounds like laziness at the rolling place, bag of halves came in rolled and someone shoved them into a box instead of unrolling and running through the machine. Either that or your head teller openned the box and swapped out the machine rolls for her dumps. There have been stories of hand rolls coming out in boxes before but not often and it was always once. I would wait and order another round before giving an ultumatum. I get bags from one of my banks and the bags turned in are sposed to be openned and recounted (weighed) but I often get bags turned in from other banks. HH Mark

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
If you are getting great service, I would not throw in the towel just yet. To read what some of the folks here are posting, good banks are about as hard to find as silver.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Worm,

I always check the holes in these boxes. I did find a complete box of handrolled in a glued box once. There is another person that picks up halves at this bank. I left him the box with the handrolls. Maybe he hit the jackpot with this box ! :laughing7:

I never said anything to the teller about this.
HH
Rich

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
They (the Brinks drivers etc), AL know what we are doing, I surmise they are doing they best when opportunity presents itself to throw us a curve like delivering a Box they just picked up at another Bank to yours to fill your Box order. One of our Bank Tellers told me the delivery driver is not happy with delivering all them 1/2 Boxes, even complained enough to get max order lowered from 20 a week to 10 Boxes.

OP
OP
WormtownFJR

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
Thanks for the help.

I am torn whether or not to speak with the head teller before the order goes in on Wed. (I p/u on Friday). I don't have an issue with finding another bank to deal with as I already draw boxes from another bank earlier in the week. I could just double my order there. Unlike other parts of the country, I find it hard not to spit and hit 2 or 3 banks at times.

I would however, like to know what the heck happened. Going through a box and re-gluing it is questionable behavior for someone working at a bank or a coin service for that matter.

This hobby is so marginally profitable to begin with (not that I am in it for profit, just savings and a hedge) that it irks to have that happen. The amount of time and fuel spent makes the notion of profit a pipe dream.

I guess my question is do I talk to the head teller and relate to her my concerns? Because, if I wait til my pickup day, what do I do if get the same thing next week? Refuse them? It may not be the banks fault.

I am leaning to speaking with the head teller and letting her know that I cannot except hand-rolled coins in a sealed box if even from a quality control point of view.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
No need to rock the boat yet. Did the customer wrapped rolls contain any foreign coins or were any of the rolls short. If so then mention that as a refusal reason the next time you see the customer wrapped rolls through the holes. This will put the teller on your side or at least give the teller no reason to stop ordering for you. However, if you say you don't want customer wrapped rolls they now have a reason to not bring them in since they can't control the incoming coin.

I can almost guarantee that the tellers or drivers are not looking through them. More than likely someone dropped the box off at another branch of your bank and it was taken back to the banks vault at the carrier and was delivered to you at a later date. This would explain was it was not opened, counted and wrapped in a new wrapper.

What you describe happens every now and then when you search a bunch of boxes. Just mark it up to being part of the game. It also helps to not return the rolls in the same box you get them in.

HH,
65GT350

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
As long as the coin count was accurate, the coin couriers did their job. There is no right or guarantee to have unsearched coins.

But on the other hand, it does suck to get rolls somebody else searched and returned in the original rolls. What is especially bad is when a fellow CRHer returns his dumps to the bank in the original box in the original rolls with crimped ends. This would make it very easy for a bank to resell it as a fresh box if they wanted to.

I don't ever remember receiving a Brinks box with another company's rolls inside. I have once or twice received a box that was not taped shut, and had all Brinks rolls somebody else appeared to have searched (crimped end on one end). I have not seen one of these in a long time. I refuse any box now that is not factory taped shut.

Jim

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Agree, 'do not rock the boat,' not just yet but at all- why turn a light upon us- personally if it keeps up you know it is time to go elsewhere is how I looks at it.

Silverminer

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I once knew someone who worked in a Brink's coin room the procedures made it difficult to cherry pick coins. He wore a set of company provided coveralls with no pockets. Which they were watched during the shift and as the coveralls were removed.

I believe it would be difficult to have a driver search boxes and remove or replace coins.

I would suggest arriving just after the driver which would limit teller access to your boxes.

Happy Hunting don't give up I believe it is a game of numbers and your silver is in the next boxes!
Cheers

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Silverminer said:
I once knew someone who worked in a Brink's coin room the procedures made it difficult to cherry pick coins. He wore a set of company provided coveralls with no pockets. Which they were watched during the shift and as the coveralls were removed.

I believe it would be difficult to have a driver search boxes and remove or replace coins.

Cheers

You are exactly right silverminer. No way are they gonna get away with this. Cameras everywhere (probably in the trucks as well--you think they are gonna not put a camera in there with all that money?) Maybe it has happened before, but would possibly be criminal and the person would get fired on the spot and maybe prosecuted.

I spoke to a bank manager that said she got a tour of the local Brinks facility years ago and saw where the coins are processed. She described it as a very fast paced operation with machines cranking away (so loud in there you have to wear hearing protectors) and very efficient. Can't see a worker looking into the hopper fishing for silver halves while all this is going on. Would be caught in camera in an instant.

If a driver is gonna risk his job and risk getting busted, I would imagine it would not be over a few silver coins. But it maybe has happened somewhere in the past. But I doubt it is an ongoing situation.

Jim

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WormtownFJR said:
Is someone in the food chain opening, searching, re-rolling, and re-gluing boxes?

I am going to talk to the head teller next week to let her know that if hand rolled boxes are my only option then I won't be ordering them ( I am so certain that will break their hearts :wink:).

Any thoughts? Anyone ever have this happen to them?

I would say that is exactly what happened. Another CRHer re-rolled the dumps, put them in the box and re-glued it. The coin courier service saw a full, apparently unopened box and just re-delivered it.

However, if it was me, I would not say a word - just chalk it up to one of those things that you may occasionally run into in this hobby. Many of us CRHers are losing supply and dump banks by the handfull. I definitely wouldn't burn any bridges at this point. Now if this starts happeneing frequently at this particular supply bank, then I would definitely seek out a new supply bank, but I still would keep all options open with the old bank "just in case." You never know when other banks will cut you off or start imposing fees which is happening all across the country. You very well might need that bank again in the future.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
DO NOT SAY ANYTHING!!! i would just keep it on the downlow, not try to get any1 fired, and very possibly loose a pickup bank! i only have like 3 pickup banks, and they are all annoyed and on the brink of stopping this FREE service that they provide for me. also, i bet it was an accident like every1 else said...fellow CRH'ers dumps, or whatever. if i were u i would keep my mouth shut and not bother them! Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread