May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a little back story for this find . Where I live in Upstate NY the poet Allen Ginsberg stayed for a period of time and I have access to land adjacent to his farm that he frequented in the 60s and 70s . I was doing some research online looking at old maps of the area looking for old homesteads in what now is a large tract of old growth timber . I have permission to hunt the area so as I was turkey hunting today I combined some hunting with a little scouting for cellar holes . I found a small cellar hole this morning and when I was done with my hunt I walked back in with my Etrac and my tools . I was in proximity to the edge of the land that used to be part of the Ginsberg estate and began to scan the outer edges of the area heading toward the cellar hole .
I hadn't gone very far at all when I got a screaming signal on my Etrac . I almost didn't dig it because it was so loud and big I figured a shallow axe head or piece of steel . When I decided to go ahead and dig it (because you never know till you check) this is what I saw 100_0566.JPG Looks like a flat piece of steel . Until I tapped it with my Lesche and it sounded hollow . Now im getting interested and maybe a little excited 8-) . So I put my shovel under the edge of what turned out to be the lid of the can a pried up a little . To my wonderment the top popped off to reveal 100_0567.JPG Sorry no pictures of it open in the hole I yanked it out of the ground so fast my fingers almost spontaneously combusted . The lid and sides had some holes rotted in them so a bunch of dirt had gotten into the tin but I saw SILVER!!!
So with shaking hands I dumped out my prizes and began to get very excited . In all told the tin contained 15 franklin halves . I have never found a half in my life and here I am with 15 of them staring at me . They ranged in age from 1950-1962 . I can only speculate that someone from the Ginsberg farm or commune that was in the area buried these in the late 60s or early 70s because they didn't trust the "establishment" and wanted to save them for a rainy day . And either forgot where they buried them or had some help forgetting by some funny smelling tobacco . They were circulated but didn't look bad just a little dirty and toned . 100_0569.JPG 100_0570.JPG 100_0572.JPG 100_0574.JPG 100_0575.JPG 100_0576.JPG 100_0577.JPG Needless to say I will be back there tomorrow bright and early... turkey hunting will have to wait . You never know there might be more :treasurechest::laughing7:

Upvote 130

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep qualifies both as a cache and a banner find...

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats!!............ its not everyday a treasure hunter comes across a casche!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is AWESOME!!! Congratz 46 Wheat!

OP
OP
46Wheat

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on getting back in there in a week or so to do a little scouting for deer season . I am going to take my Etrac with me and do some more exploring around the foundation and field edges . Who knows what I might find

kristof.wanderer

Mar 23, 2014
Nacogdoches Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely awesome find! I'd be ecstatic!! Good job and congratulations!!

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably would have covered it back up after I hit rust. Kudos to you and congratulations

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT GREAT find so very very RARE to have found not only one but 15 treasured halfs , very nice going. I would also go and see if there are more cans of buried loot, on the grounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang!that's awesome!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know u deer hunter wheat! We def gotta get something going soon then I'll take you for some nice deer...2 years ago I got a 139 9 pointer and last year a nice 10

arnie161

May 26, 2007
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE / T2 / Garrett Ace 250 / White DFX 300 / F75
X-Terra 705 / E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wooop wooop , awesome find, always exciting to find a metal box and the anticipation of what is in it .

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old post, but still VERY cool.
Heck yeah that's a "cache" as far as I'm concerned.

Did you end up finding anything else when you went back?

This just reinforces me to start digging more and not be so quick to walk away from what my detector is calling "trash".
Also, always hit around the base of nice trees, the older the better.

Beautiful!!

OP
OP
46Wheat

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only went back a couple times and found some buttons and a couple IHs and other odds and ends but didnt spend much time there . I plan on going back this spring when the snow goes as its a chore to get in there after there is any foliage on

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad this post resurfaced cause it reminds me of a conversation that I had with a friend of mine. During a hunt he asked me if I dig anything that nulls out and then we spoke about the likelihood of finding a cache. I swing a CTX so I told him that it would surely null out over a can or jar of some sort especially if it was shallow. He then asked me what I thought a silver in a tin can would sound like and I couldn't answer this.

Do you recall how your Etrac specifically sounded and read over this cache? -

Thanks.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN WHAT A BUNCH OF BENJAMINS ...

Top Member Reactions