šŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Not sure what caused this ā€œrectangleā€

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I was creek walking and the little, white rectangle caught my eye. Itā€™s probably nothing special, but I remember a science professor who used to expound on the rareness of finding natural occurring rectangles.
(Tessellated Pavement is an example of natural rectangles). I just thought Iā€™d throw it out there for anyone who is interested in responding. Thanks
IMG_2757.jpeg
IMG_2758.jpeg

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what it is, but if it's a natural part of the rock, that's definitely an unusual eye catcher.

Upvote 1

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Blackfoot58

In early historical times the tribes resident in Iowa were the Ioway (northern, central and eastern Iowa) and the Sioux (northwest Iowa). In the eighteenth century, the Sauk and Mesquakie were driven out of their ancestral homelands in eastern Wisconsin by the Ojibwa, with the assistance of the French.
I am unaware of the Blackfoot Tribe being in Iowa?
I was raise amogst the Blackfoot tribe in Alberta.

I know if I found this rock item back when, I would use it as as Thumb Scraper!
Thumb scraper.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Hi Blackfoot58

In early historical times the tribes resident in Iowa were the Ioway (northern, central and eastern Iowa) and the Sioux (northwest Iowa). In the eighteenth century, the Sauk and Mesquakie were driven out of their ancestral homelands in eastern Wisconsin by the Ojibwa, with the assistance of the French.
I am unaware of the Blackfoot Tribe being in Iowa?
I was raise amogst the Blackfoot tribe in Alberta.

I know if I found this rock item back when, I would use it as as Thumb Scraper! View attachment 2137328
My paternal great-grandmother was full Blackfoot. I believe she was from Montana area Piegan, Iā€™m told. She was adopted by a family in the Massachusetts area.
Iā€™ve always leaned to that side, since childhood.
Were you near Webster County Alberta? I had family who homesteaded that area. Their surname was Ferguson.

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi
I am more southern Alberta:
The Blood Tribe/KƔƭnai (BT/K) is a part of the Blackfoot Confederacy and is based in Southern Alberta on 557.2 square miles of reserve land bordered by the Old Man River, the St. Mary River, and the Belly River. This reserve of 352,600 acres is the largest in Canada (Dempsey, 1997,
I went to school with the First Nation Bloods, my niece married a Doctor from the Reserve and I helped farm the largest Indian Reserve in Canada.
I would walk around the Buffalo Jump areas after combining and find numerous arrow heads.
Not this but close and private: https://headsmashedin.ca/
Nice memories!

Upvote 1

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was creek walking and the little, white rectangle caught my eye. Itā€™s probably nothing special, but I remember a science professor who used to expound on the rareness of finding natural occurring rectangles.
(Tessellated Pavement is an example of natural rectangles). I just thought Iā€™d throw it out there for anyone who is interested in responding. Thanks View attachment 2137311 View attachment 2137312
Interesting rockā€¦. That rectangle looks like a worn away price tagšŸ˜µ. It is extremely odd to find rectangles, no doubt about thatā€¦ I have found a couple pieces that look like this rock in Minnesota, and I wish i knew where they wereā€¦
One looks like a piece of candy, near perfect rectangle approximately 2ā€ in length and it looks like there is a near perfect square of a different color in the centerā€”thus the candy look, it is the only near perfect rectangle I have ever found in my life and it is pretty coolā€¦ I believe that ended up being chert. Another piece I found was also chert, but appeared to be part of the sea floor, literally like a section of fossilized floor various shells, worm looking things, near perfect circular shell type pieces, kind of like in your piece, little ā€bbā€ looking piecesā€¦roughly two inches thick and roughly 3ā€x5ā€, light gray, dark gray, and part of it on the lower half looked like banded chert. Minnesota (and parts of iowa I believe) was under the sea many moons ago and sharks teeth as well as various types and forms of chert, fossils, shells, etcā€¦ are found. Spent half my life in MN and I truly love love LOVE the Lake Superior agate.
I canā€™t say for certain, but your piece really looks like chert and I would hazard a guess that rectangle is a fossil of some sea creature along with everything else in itā€¦ Itā€™s a cool piece and certainly interesting, a keeper for sure!

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Interesting rockā€¦. That rectangle looks like a worn away price tagšŸ˜µ. It is extremely odd to find rectangles, no doubt about thatā€¦ I have found a couple pieces that look like this rock in Minnesota, and I wish i knew where they wereā€¦
One looks like a piece of candy, near perfect rectangle approximately 2ā€ in length and it looks like there is a near perfect square of a different color in the centerā€”thus the candy look, it is the only near perfect rectangle I have ever found in my life and it is pretty coolā€¦ I believe that ended up being chert. Another piece I found was also chert, but appeared to be part of the sea floor, literally like a section of fossilized floor various shells, worm looking things, near perfect circular shell type pieces, kind of like in your piece, little ā€bbā€ looking piecesā€¦roughly two inches thick and roughly 3ā€x5ā€, light gray, dark gray, and part of it on the lower half looked like banded chert. Minnesota (and parts of iowa I believe) was under the sea many moons ago and sharks teeth as well as various types and forms of chert, fossils, shells, etcā€¦ are found. Spent half my life in MN and I truly love love LOVE the Lake Superior agate.
I canā€™t say for certain, but your piece really looks like chert and I would hazard a guess that rectangle is a fossil of some sea creature along with everything else in itā€¦ Itā€™s a cool piece and certainly interesting, a keeper for sure!
Yes. Iā€™m in an area that was the lake bed of prehistoric Lake Calvin. High bluffs still remain, showing the perimeter of the massive lake. Thanks for your response.šŸ‘šŸ¼

Upvote 1

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strange for sure. That rock is loaded with fossils too. Any chance you could polish it flat to show rectangle and fossils better?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Strange for sure. That rock is loaded with fossils too. Any chance you could polish it flat to show rectangle and fossils better?
Not sure. Iā€™ve never done that and donā€™t want to ruin it. Iā€™ll look into it though. Thanks

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread