Not sure what this is...

rodear

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_2634.JPG 100_2619.JPG 100_2620.JPG 100_2647.JPG

This was found at a dig site in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
perforated stone axe hammer..... . What state did that come from and how was it found?

OP
OP
R

rodear

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assure you that it is authenic! Take a closer look to right and you will see a couple of knicks that has the same appearance. I had not properly removed all the Red Carolina Clay from all the low spots and knicks before I took the pic's...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about native American relics but are you sure it's not some type of arrow shaft straightener tool? How's that hole look from the other side? pic maybe?

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice fellow carolina brother! I'm from nash county!

Johnathan Griswold

OP
OP
R

rodear

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hole on the other side is the same. The stone is 1 1/2" thick and the hole measures a perfect 1/2" diameter like it had been drilled with a modern drill bit. My uncle, also seems to think that it is a arrow straightener. I will upload a couple more pic's a little later...

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
The markings on the side sure look like they were put there recently. The patina is completely different.

i was thinking the same thing, was going to mention that they may be there for hafting purposes but i dunno the examples of artifacts that could be related to this are perforated stone axe hammers but they are slimmer and thicker shaft staightener may be the closest thing to it but something strange about it. i dunno

Last edited:

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hi Rodear & welcome to T-net , My first thought was heating stone , ..I dont see any polish on the ends [bits] if an edged tool ? So ,is the material somewhat grainy with a bit/lots of mica in it . the best material for these heating stones have alot of biotites [iron rich mica] in them ,. and its the unique property of these random interlocking plates that hold these heating stones together during extream heating & cooling ......anyway...

View attachment 645267 DSC03795rs640x480.jpg

well, heres a pic of some so. cali heating stones ,..some are drilled most are not . Yours "looks" similar ,..except for those tally marks????

View attachment 645270 JPEGhematitething.jpg

And heres a pic of a piece of hemitite thats been cane drilled ,..looks as if a "modern" core bit was used doesn't it ?
Anyway ,..Maybe.....Blindpig

Last edited:

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Rodear & welcome to T-net , My first thought was heating stone , ..I dont see any polish on the ends [bits] if an edged tool ? So ,is the material somewhat grainy with a bit/lots of mica in it . the best material for these heating stones have alot of biotites [iron rich mica] in them ,. and its the unique property of these random interlocking plates that hold these heating stones together during extream heating & cooling ......anyway...

well, heres a pic of some so. cali heating stones ,..some are drilled most are not . Yours "looks" similar ,..except for those tally marks????

View attachment 645270

And heres a pic of a piece of hemitite thats been cane drilled ,..looks as if a "modern" core bit was used doesn't it ?
Anyway ,..Maybe.....Blindpig

View attachment 645267 couldn't follow your links on my end.....don't know if its me or on your end but i couldn't open them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread