Not sure what you call it....

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Had an uncle from Mariposa, he retired from work after being a Yosemite Ranger for over 30 years.

I never knew him well, but he came to visit my mom and grandmother years ago with an old olive jar. That jar was 2/3 full of gold nuggets. What a sight to a young boys eyes. You may as well have pushed me over a cliff, I would not have noticed. I was hooked then, all those years ago. Gold fever.

I never forgot how he said he got a good portion of it too. It wasn't panning, or MD'g, no slucing. He said to come out in March. That is when the winter snow is melting and the creeks and dry washes are full of running water.
He had a box about 12" x 12" with one end open and the other was plexi glass and waterproofed. He would hold the box in the water (plastic down) to break the sheen on the surface. Then he would dig with a nut pic in the various cracks and crevases while looking thru the box into the water. Pretty effective. He knew so many people in the area he had no problem getting to go where he pleased.

I'll retire and get there someday to try it. Have any of you tried this method?

Good luck.
BW

Upvote 1

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if i were you i'd be in MARAPOOSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!thats outstanding,and he was just cherry picking-if there were that many large nuggetts -there were 80% or more smaller ones.thats unreal!!!!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a friend tell me once of her grandfather doing something similar on a specific mountain in Colorado.
He had a large pickle jar filled up to the brim with gold nuggets. She said they never used anything but their hands to get it.
One of these days, I'm gonna make it out to that mountain....

Bran <><

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called "Sniping" or "Nugget sniping" Also referred to as underwater "Crevicing". I use a 5 inch diameter pvc tube 3 feet long with a plexiglass lens across it. I sometimes use a face mask with snorkel as well. Works great in gold country. I will post a pic of it when I get home.
My brother and I half way filled a baby food jar with nuggets once.

I have a gasoline powered vacuum that I made from a leaf blower and a wet or dry vac for dry land crevicing. I'll post a pic of it too.

GG~

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Goodyguy said:
It's called "Sniping" or "Nugget sniping" Also referred to as underwater "Crevicing". I use a 5 inch diameter pvc tube 3 feet long with a plexiglass lens across it. I sometimes use a face mask with snorkel as well. Works great in gold country. I will post a pic of it when I get home.

I have a gasoline powered vacuum that I made from a leaf blower and a wet or dry vac for dry land crevicing. I'll post a pic of it too.

GG~
I would love to see some pics of your gold finding tools/machines.

BW

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bravowhiskey said:
Goodyguy said:

GG~
I would love to see some pics of your gold finding tools/machines.

BW

Here is my dry vac for crevicing on dry land between cracks in bedrock and under boulders
I use long prybars and picks to move boulders and open up cracks.
vac.jpg

Here is my sniping tube for seeing nuggets on the bottom of shallow waterways.
sniper.jpg

Here is my high banker
high banker.jpg

More of my equipment and gold prospecting on my personal page
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,256137.0.html

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread