chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 45 days I have been soaking this buckle is water nothing else... I took it out today and scrubbed off the dirt... the back is like 95% dirt free... the front is a lot better but still has a lot of dirt on it.... shall I continue to soak it?

Now I know there will be some of you that will say "DON'T CLEAN IT" again, I didn't use anything but water and a non-metallic brush here are the before and after pictures...

Attachments

• buckle.JPG
    buckle.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 587
  • buckle.JPG
    buckle.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 577
  • Buckle Clean.JPG
    Buckle Clean.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 587
Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks nice, but I would have left it alone. That dirt adds character to the piece.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
It looks nice, but I would have left it alone. That dirt adds character to the piece.

Maybe... but it still has plenty of "character" to prove its an original!

I hear there many fakes out there....

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
A nice plate. In case you didn't know it's a US sabre belt plate, probably civil war. They can be later though. You could soak it in a mild dish washing liquid or a 50/50 mix of lemon juice and water if you want to clean it somemore. If you use the lemon juice keep and eye on it and don't leave it in to long.

Pull_tab_mike

Nov 20, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Whites CoinMaster
U LUCKY DOG.....THATS A NICE FIND..... HOW DO YOU LIKE THE NEW V3??

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull_tab_mike said:
U LUCKY DOG.....THATS A NICE FIND..... HOW DO YOU LIKE THE NEW V3??

I have only had it a week... I got about 15 hours on it...

I got Pennies, Nickles, Dimes, Quarters figured out... (halves & dollars too if I ever find them)
I know what a zinc penny is... I am not digging them currently but I know I should.
I know what the dreaded pulltab is than to the pinpoint screen and the middle frequency (the red bar)

I have yet to find a ring or any other kind of jewelry... but hey only 15 hours on it so far...

I just need to learn what other things are like rings, tokens, buttons and such

there are a few things I am not real happy about... but I'll get used to it... the dang DD coil it come with is heavy! feels like a lead weight on the end of a stick... Also with 3 frequencies that detector sure makes a lot of noise its chattering all the time... drives me crazy!

Chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if the ones with the silver wreaths more rare/valuable?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning it dry would have removed most of the dirt but left the green patina. A peroxide soak with a little brushing, then laying flat to dry (no water) does a pretty good job at keeping the green. Water, lemon, oil, jelly.... will all wash it away. That said, still a great plate! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Cleaning it dry would have removed most of the dirt but left the green patina. A peroxide soak with a little brushing, then laying flat to dry (no water) does a pretty good job at keeping the green. Water, lemon, oil, jelly.... will all wash it away. That said, still a great plate! :thumbsup:

sounds like alot of work lol

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chukers said:
Iron Patch said:

No, easy, just a lot of years stripping patina to finally figure it out! Here's my friend's button that would definitely not look as nice if it had all the green removed and was black. Even running under the water would probably have taken a lot more green off than the HP. (I'm not sure if what looks like dirt is dirt, because mine looks similar, but what's left on mine is gilt - His looks like a bit of both having just looked at the pic again)

Funny when I started I actually didn't care much for my relics or coins having green patina but that has changed bigtime. I basically just do what's right... whether it's gilt, green, or in one very rare case polished the hell out of the surface of a button and greatly improved it. Never had that situation come up again and might not ever again.

PS... I'm not implying the plate could have looked like this. There's definitely different types/levels of patina.

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
chukers said:
Iron Patch said:

No, easy, just a lot of years stripping patina to finally figure it out! Here's my friend's button that would definitely not look as nice if it had all the green removed and was black. Even running under the water would probably have taken a lot more green off than the HP. (I'm not sure if what looks like dirt is dirt, because mine looks similar, but what's left on mine is gilt - His looks like a bit of both having just looked at the pic again)

Funny when I started I actually didn't care much for my relics or coins having green patina but that has changed bigtime. I basically just do what's right... whether it's gilt, green, or in one very rare case polished the hell out of the surface of a button and greatly improved it. Never had that situation come up again and might not ever again.

PS... I'm not implying the plate could have looked like this. There's definitely different types/levels of patina.

Thats nice... the buckle didn't have a single bit of green on it... I bet if it did I would of left it alone....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chukers said:
Iron Patch said:
chukers said:
Iron Patch said:

Thats nice... the buckle didn't have a single bit of green on it... I bet if it did I would of left it alone....

Not the same type of green, but your top picture looks like a combination of dirt and green patina. The second cleaned pic seems like more than just dirt removed. If it had just been lose dirt you most likely wouldn't have had the process you described above to remove it. It's the type of patina that water will wash away and why my first comment was about cleaning it dry.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
chukers said:
Iron Patch said:
chukers said:
Iron Patch said:

Not the same type of green, but your top picture looks like a combination of dirt and green patina. The second cleaned pic seems like more than just dirt removed. If it had just been lose dirt you most likely wouldn't have had the process you described above to remove it. It's the type of patina that water will wash away and why my first comment was about cleaning it dry.

well thats because its still wet... when it dries it looks alot like the uncleaned picture.

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:

I thought so too!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes the silver wreath type buckles are more valuible *
note * take great care when "notching" out zinc cents -- indain head cents (which could easily be in the area where that buckle was) often ring up in the area where modern zinc cents do on most machines --so if you are in a area where indain heads cents might be and you desire to find them --my advice is to leave the zinc cents "notched" in :wink:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chukers said:
Iron Patch said:
chukers said:
Iron Patch said:
chukers said:
Iron Patch said:

well thats because its still wet... when it dries it looks alot like the uncleaned picture.

If that's the case I'm really confused. You said it's only dirt in the first picture, not patina. But the second picture which shows neither dirt or patina dries and looks like picture number one? :icon_scratch:

Anyway, bottom line is it's a plate! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread