Not Trash!!!

ashdigger

May 29, 2005
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hey guys recently while looking for a few relics I came accross this little metal gasmo, I almost tossed it but being a good detectorist I placed it in my trash bag. After I got home a looked a little closer and washed it off I noticed it was'nt trash but a flattened Burnside Case one of the very first cartridges of the war, most likely a Confederate. So in the future look a little closer at that trash it might suprise you, I know I'll be looking closer. Take Care..

Attachments

• BS2.jpg
    BS2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,000
  • BS1.jpg
    BS1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 991
  • BS3.jpg
    BS3.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 987
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep that is exactly what it is...I have a couple of those unfired. Nice find!!

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Ash,

Great Find and even Greater not throwing it away!

I love those types of cartridges because there just isn't any others like it. The Confederate Army was the primary army to use this type of ammo.

Keep It Coming!!!

Ian

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! But the Burnside was one of the most used carbines in the Union army, I believe about second or third most used. The Confederates captured metallic cartridge carbines and rifles like Burnsides and Spencers and mostly had to rely on captured ammo to feed them as well.

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

l.cutler said:
Very nice! But the Burnside was one of the most used carbines in the Union army, I believe about second or third most used. The Confederates captured metallic cartridge carbines and rifles like Burnsides and Spencers and mostly had to rely on captured ammo to feed them as well.

Very True Cutler,

But once the Union Army got word that the Rebels were compatible with their rifles and muskets, they started working more with Pin-Fire and Rim-Fire cartridges which were not usable with the Reb's guns.

Ian

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the Southern arsenals were certainly capable of producing cartridges for the Burnside, Spencer, Smith etc. the tooling, machinery and setting up for the comparitively few captured weapons would be cost and time prohibitive, so the captured cartridge weapons were not that widely used.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love them relics.
Congrats.
-MM-

OP
OP
ashdigger

ashdigger

May 29, 2005
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hey guys thanks for the info. Thats the first one of these I found and I'm sure there are more out there and several people have found them but I dont know anyone recently finding one in our area (Southern Missouri) Were they mostly used in the major campaines back east or all over? Take care

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much anywhere the cavalry went. The Army of the Potomac usually got the newer technology before the western armies, so they may have taken a little longer to get there.

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
In my hunting area in Eastern North Carolina, The Burnside is our second or third most common bullet we find, flat base that is, the dish base burnside is alittle harder to find, but still have a pocket full... What makes these bullets fun to find there in New Bern NC. is, it was Gen. Burnsides greatest victory (and last if im not mistaking). It took him over a year of preperations to plan this takeover of the city of New Bern to give the Union army a supply route behind the enemy's lines.
(unfortunatly, I just moved back to Ohio, but I will visit my metal detecting buds all throughout the summer to get my CW digs in)

Bill

PS the Burnside is on the right of the picture, 3rd from smallest, its a flatbased

Attachments

• pic 9.jpg
    pic 9.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 394

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Steve, Good advise also. Best advise to any relic hunter never throw anything away. I know when I have a relic that I cannot identify I hang onto it and usually sooner or later I find out what it is. Like those candlestick holders I dug. Tim

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amen Tsgman....I've probably lost a few relic's myself (CW) just because I didn't know what it was.A little bit more informed these day's thank's to this place.....Good eye Ash!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread