Not very impressed

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I walk a property every summer for about 4 months. Today was my 1st time walking it in 9 months. Last year I noticed a big decline in finds. Today I only found 2 flint chips and what’s in the picture. I’ve found 100s of artifacts in this creek over the years. The water was a bit high and most of the gravel bars gone or cut in half from flooding all year. But I’m starting to think someone is walking this creek in the winter leaving nothing but sherds. I don’t have permission to it in the winter or maybe I’ve found almost everything there is to find? Have you ever hunted a creek like this and if so what’s your feelings about it not producing like it used to. There is a small flake blade in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpeg
    IMG_0813.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 2
OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I'd jump down in the creek and start sifting...
I have tried that one time in a different creek. Saw it on YouTube. Owners said they didn’t care so he dropped me off. It was a lot of work for rocks and glass. The creeks here have sand but not a bunch. Mostly fist size gravel. I doubt I will ever try it again.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the only way we do it here in Deep East Texas. Dig down thru the sand/mud to get to the gravel then throw it into a sifter. That's where you find the G10's

Mortenson

Jun 11, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a creek running through our farm. We find a few artifacts in the fields but haven't been able to find one in the creek or on the gravel bars yet. The kids wanted to try sifting, so we made a 2x2 sifting box but haven't tried it out yet.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
We have a creek running through our farm. We find a few artifacts in the fields but haven't been able to find one in the creek or on the gravel bars yet. The kids wanted to try sifting, so we made a 2x2 sifting box but haven't tried it out yet.
I made one too. Tried it and found nothing. The creeks here have rock bottoms. Some sand from erosion. But it washes away quickly on high flows. If the water will just drop about a foot I believe I will find something in the water. But hard to see through the current. Good Luck

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An underwater viewer will kill the ripple effect and let you see beneath the surface of water as if you are wearing goggles. I once made one from a styrofoam minnow bucket and a round piece of plexiglass. Cut the plexiglass so that it will fit nicely in the round hole you're about to cut in the bottom of the bucket. Cut the bottom of the bucket from outside the bucket using the piece of plexiglass as a stencil and leave a 3/8" "shelf" for the plexiglas to rest on. The plexiglass should fit perfectly into the recess you just made from the bottom end of the bucket. I used a drywall knife to custom cut the styrofoam bottom. Chuck up a tube of silicone in your gun and squeeze out a bead into the little recessed shelf so that it will be leak-proof once you place the round custom piece of plexiglass back in. Mash it in there pretty good so that the silicone will form a gasket. Don't try and clean up any excess that may get on the plexiglass. If you go with another material such as a plastic 5 gallon bucket, don't cut the hole as big as your plexiglass and install it from inside the bucket. Just squeeze enough silicone around the hole to form a water-tight seal and place and mash the plexiglass against it. Weight the plexiglass down with something like a brick in a sock so it will have adequate pressure and not scratch the plexiglass as it dries. Let it dry for 24 hrs as most silicone recommends. Make sure everything is clean so you get a good seal and won't be disappointed when you get to your hunting spot. Common sense says not to submerge the whole bucket underwater!

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Thanks TD for that long and detailed instructions. Not many people would take the time to do that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread