Not Your Typical Treasure

DirtkneeDan

Oct 3, 2011
The NJ Lottery offers a couple different ways to get a second chance out of your losing scratch off tickets. I noticed that some people throw their losers on the ground and thought "Hey if I pick those up I can use them for a chance at a million $". A little embarassed I never did, until yesterday. No one looking, I snatched it up and took it home to enter it in the second chance drawing. Only one problem, closer inspection proved it to be a $5 winner. Apparently the purchaser only thought 3 sevens in a row won and overlooked the 3 rings. It must have been in the rain, a little faded and beat up but I took it to the store today and traded it for a new ticket. Luckily, the new one was a loser and I was able to enter it the second chance drawing. lol

Attachments

• lottery.JPG
    lottery.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 1,193
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DirtkneeDan

Oct 3, 2011
It sure does! I thought it was quite fitting that it was a win on the "diamond rings" too. Now if I can only find three real ones.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You gotta cross the river for the real Treasure Hunt!

Attachments

• Treasure-Hunt-Large(1).jpg
    Treasure-Hunt-Large(1).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,059

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I found a 15 dollar winner in a park once. It had been in the weather for awhile so the numbers to enter to redeem were not readable. I sent it in to the state lottery w/ a note saying it was found. They sent me a check for 15 bucks. 44 cent stamp got me 14.56 profit. Good luck w/ the second chance.

Snake Eyes

Sep 24, 2011
111/101 in SW Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Explorer SE, Dowsing Rods...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Ohio, a list came out one time that told just how many winning instant lottery tickets go unclaimed..... It was "SHOCKING" to see that even some of the top cash prizes were never cashed in on some of these tickets :) This is why if I see a discarded lottery ticket, I always check them out.....

You just never know :icon_thumright: CHEERS :coffee2:

OP
OP
D

DirtkneeDan

Oct 3, 2011
Thanks all. I learned my lesson, I'll be picking them up. At the very least I am conducting a public service.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a $3 winner not to long ago. I have entered the second chance drawings but to date have not won anything. A friend of mine from GA did win a very nice poker table with all the assecories from a second chance drawing down there.

Good luck on future entries.

NJ

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
DirtkneeDan said:
The NJ Lottery offers a couple different ways to get a second chance out of your losing scratch off tickets. I noticed that some people throw their losers on the ground and thought "Hey if I pick those up I can use them for a chance at a million $". A little embarassed I never did, until yesterday. No one looking, I snatched it up and took it home to enter it in the second chance drawing. Only one problem, closer inspection proved it to be a $5 winner. Apparently the purchaser only thought 3 sevens in a row won and overlooked the 3 rings. It must have been in the rain, a little faded and beat up but I took it to the store today and traded it for a new ticket. Luckily, the new one was a loser and I was able to enter it the second chance drawing. lol

"Luckily, the new one was a loser and I was able to enter it the second chance drawing."

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
I was thinking the same thing, put 2 $5 losers in my pouch the other day, plan on doing the same. "Got to be in it to Win it".

TomNJ

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the florida lotto had a second chance drawing * on its monoply game tickets * seems few people knew about it so lots of folks just tossed their "non winning" ticket down as litter -- in one week I got a total of 283 "free entries" from picking up thrown away tickets and redeeming them --you scratched the ticket number code and punched in the number online at the lotto website depending on the value of the ticket $20 , $10, $5, $2, $1 you got various numbers of drawing chances awarded--sadly I did not win anything --but there was a chance for $10,000 * , a vaction with $1000 spending cash , $200 bucks and a deluxe monoply game and just the "deluxe"game alone -- so you bet I was scouting for "free chances" laying on the ground at the store and gas stations

OP
OP
D

DirtkneeDan

Oct 3, 2011
I would not believe this could happen again, but after picking up 7 discarded tickets I found another winner. This time $3. Of course I exchanged it for 3 $1 tickets. They all lost. I am having better luck with other peoples throw aways! Well a couple more entries in the second chance drawing.

Ivan, I have to say I am impressed with your 283 entries. Sorry you didn't win something. I don't
think I will get nearly that many, but I will hold on to hope as we treasure hunters always do.

Fosen

Greenie
Oct 1, 2006
Some really neat stories, I have one also...when I am out running errands or doing things with the Family, occasionally I pick up trash (that is directly in my path), and discard it properly. One day when I was with my teenage boys, I happened upon a scratch off ticket. I used the opportunity to explain to them, that they should always inspect "lottery litter", because many times they are mistakenly discarded. Sure enough, my oldest son picked it up, and determined it was a $5 winner! He was not only astonished, but it made me appear to be a wise old SOB haha :laughing7:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! Some of the games can be so complex, I understand people tossing winners,
Found a couple myself :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

DirtkneeDan

Oct 3, 2011
steelheadwill said:
Congrats! Some of the games can be so complex, I understand people tossing winners,
Found a couple myself :thumbsup:
I agree steelhead. Don't know what the purchaser of my first ticket was thinking but the second was a "crossword" ticket and you definitely have to pay attention to what you are doing. Not as easy as scratching and looking for 3 like amounts.

Nice job Fosen. Your boys will be picking up tickets for the rest of their lives. lol And seeing other
peoples experiences posted here, I guess it will remain a regular habit for me too.

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check discarded scratch off tickets. I found a 25.00 winner one time at Walmart,where i work at.

OP
OP
D

DirtkneeDan

Oct 3, 2011
OK, I'm the new guy here. If anyone is stilling following this, they are going to be saying, "The new guy is a BSer" I love reading the posts here. Keeps me motivated and I have been dying to get out. The weather has been awesome. But I am "babysitting" my neighbors dog. Can't leave him alone. He freaks out and escapes which usually means something gets broke. So, I've been walking him a lot and picking up tickets as I do. I picked these up today. Look at the "Bejeweled" Hasn't even been scratched yet! Turned out to be a loser, but still I can't believe it. I think I have a new hobby!

Attachments

• DSCN0110.JPG
    DSCN0110.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 240

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions