nother clad venture

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
'nother clad venture

Fiend made it west of the Fox today for some grand cladding at the ball diamonds. It's just post-season so the jewelry hasn't started jumping out yet. Another week or two.

Took him to one of our older, less beaten parks and he scored a nice 04 IH early on, then a few minutes later and a few feet away, I got a long foil signal that turned out to be a nice silver chain about 2" down, delicate work, removing it intact.

Couldn't stick around so it was a short sweep there. But you should have seen the work that nail standing on end put him through. But we got that nail, yeah, we got it!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Re: 'nother clad venture

Sounds like a nice day. Weather was just gloomy enough to keep a lot of people indoors but it never let up. Great day for swinging.

Nice scores, Indian Heads and silver chains would certainly make my day.

Hope to see you guys on Sunday.

Joe

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Yeah the sun came late and was warm today. This weekend I'm back to the local woods. The other day at the horse shoe site I had a red belly whacking a catalpa about 10 feet overhead. Every time I would start to dig he'd let loose a volley and I was yelling at him to go hit another tree. If he was a pileated I would have sworn it was Woody himself.

The ground came alive with the very small brown frogs, maybe pickerels at one spot while I was kneeling and digging. I mean one minute I was looking at the target and then it seemed all the leaves were moving and these very well camo'd frogs appeared, all no bigger than about 2 cm. Tons of burrow spots much larger than them were also present. I wonder how many old coins are lost in those toad and frog holes?

I think these creatures may be a threat to the economy.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Pickerels are becoming harder and harder to find, because they are especially susceptible to the global amphibian decline. Actually, much of the native Rana species are, with the exception of the ubiquitous and hardy bullfrog.

Could they have been young American toads?

Joe

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes sir, I finally made my way west of the fox, out to Lowbatts country!!! The ball fields where we were we awesome and have all the potential in the world for jewelry. I was digging every signal my coil passed over. It was actually great pratice, as I have only tried to look for old coins and don't really get good targets so this really helped out in my learning of my SE. The other place we went to was awesome. Lots of old houses on the hill and lots of history. I got a bouncy signal just like an Indian Head penny on my 3rd or 4th target, I thought to myself, this can't be that easy. Well I dug down like 4 or 5 inches and sure enough, a sharp 1904 IH popped out. So this is my 7th Indian Head penny so far!!! Great hunt bud, I have to make my way out your way again. I'm off Fridays now, so if you ever want to hunt just give me a call. :thumbsup:

Oh yea, great job on the necklace!!! It wasn't coiled up, I swept my coil over it and got the faintest - super bouncy signal ever. :icon_scratch: Once it was out of the ground we coiled it up and I got a more stable reading.

And yea, I dug a crater trying to find that nail. It was a bouncy signal but it kept a high tone and would make its way, way over to the silver area, and it was deep, so I thought I could possibly have a Barber or even better yet a Seated!!! But it wasn't meant to be. I get one soon enough I guess... ;D

Here is my take for the day:
2971039520_f4e149943c_o.jpg

2971039524_885057afd8_o.jpg

2971039528_871091e265_o.jpg

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Yeah that is a sweet IH. Figured that ground would be a good site for your gear, my old Fisher has just reached it's limits there due to the masking but Im sure there's a pile of loot since that was a very popular sledding hill over a hundred years ago and the site of many a local picnics back then. Any Friday is good with me Fiend.

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II

kimsdad said:
Nice Indian, Fiend!!

Seems like I spend half my time chasing nails with the SE... :(

Been there, done that. it's part of the learning curve bud! don't get discourage, you will learn the explorer in no time :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread