Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_8482.JPG
found this at the base of some bluffs in the woods, its a loop of chain with a large brass tag with a 5 stamped on it, the tag is a little larger than a post it note and is on a split loop kind of like a oversized keychain... whats odd to me is the need to use a nicer heavy chunk of metal as a tag, i would think your average farm debris would be iron or plastic.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a neck chain with tag numbered to identify cattle that were vaccinated with the Blackleg vaccine discovered by Dr. O.M. Franklin, who started the O. M. Franklin Serum Co. in 1916. here's a link to find out more info on it https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/awo01, nice piece of America's western history, Congrats on your find and thanks for sharing... "D"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any possible way to get an age? did they replace the brass at one point with plastic or stop using chains as collars at any time?

Upvote 0

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
any possible way to get an age? did they replace the brass at one point with plastic or stop using chains as collars at any time?

Not really sure, I didn't read the entire article in the link attached in my previous post, however when I get a chance I'll do a little more checking if you wish... "D"

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW, had old jack lived, I think the war would have gone much differently

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really sure, I didn't read the entire article in the link attached in my previous post, however when I get a chance I'll do a little more checking if you wish... "D"
that would be great. find much or not that was a great id thanks

Upvote 0

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BTW, had old jack lived, I think the war would have gone much differently

As we talked about in or PM's, I totally agree with you, there's no doubt the war would've continued and history would have been changed for sure, it's a shame he died before he had the opportunity to express his opinion, and possibly changed Lee's mind regarding the final battle plans of the battle at Gettysburg...

"D"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that would be great. find much or not that was a great id thanks

In 1927 the name was changed to the O. M. Franklin Blackleg Serum Company, but in 1937 Blackleg was dropped from the name. The Franklin Serum Company was sold in 1963 to American Home Products and became Franklin Laboratories... "D"

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In the mid last centuary, we were raising registered Angus Bulls, and records were kept on each cow. Cows were identified using a neck chain and a number. I recollect the number tags being plastic. Most of my time was spent irrigating pasture and feeding hay.

Upvote 0

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As we talked about in or PM's, I totally agree with you, there's no doubt the war would've continued and history would have been changed for sure, it's a shame he died before he had the opportunity to express his opinion, and possibly changed Grant's mind before he engaged the north at Gettysburg...

"D"

Grant had nothing to do with Gettysburg, he was at Vicksburg July 1863.

Upvote 0

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the mid last centuary, we were raising registered Angus Bulls, and records were kept on each cow. Cows were identified using a neck chain and a number. I recollect the number tags being plastic. Most of my time was spent irrigating pasture and feeding hay.

Yes sir you're absolutely correct. Let me first go over the metal AIN or "management tags" that cattlemen use. The first metal tags where made of Brass and occasionally copper, but the copper tags are rarely found anymore. Today you can get the metal tags in either traditional Brass or aluminum. They did make some out of steel at one time, and from what I've been told you can still have steel tags made, but you rarely see them and if you do run across some, they're probably custom made and special ordered.

The older plastic AIN or "Management tags" were first made of a hard plastic and were very prone to UV sunlight, which caused them to fade after a while, and eventually they became brittle and fell apart. The newer plastic tags used today are made of a pliable plastic and they're UV protected, to some degree of course, however they do last a lot longer than the initial hard plastic tags used back in the day .

They're some dairy and beef cattlemen who will tag their livestock with either metal or plastic ear tags. A few still use the neck chain, especially if they're raising a show bull or cow. They prefer the neck chain with the AIN or "Management tag" over the ear tag, because they don't want blemish their Show Bull or cow's ear, which could possibly cause them to lose points during the judging of their prize Bovine... "D"

Upvote 0

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Grant had nothing to do with Gettysburg, he was at Vicksburg July 1863.

Hi Joe, you're absolutely right. I worded my previous post wrong, what I was meaning to say was, had Jackson still been alive, he could've possibly had a part in the planning process of the engagement at Gettysburg and with Lee's confidence and respect for him, it's plausible he could've had some influence in Lee's decision regarding the engagement plans of the battle.

Grant, did however respect Jackson, not saying he liked him, Evan though Grant was posted out west, because Lincoln didn't much care for him. Grant Knew of Jackson and considered a formidable foe as well as a very good tactician, leader and not scared of leading his troops into the heart of a battle, that is while Jackson was still alive of course. I do appreciate you pointing out my mistake, and I feel foolish. I'm going to edit my post it right now.

Thanks Joe, "D"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread