Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't post many finds here because I search about .01% (OK, not literally) as much as most CRHers here search. But today's post is different because of some good finds and a little background story.

Over the past few months my grandmother had developed signs of Alzheimer's and dementia. About a month ago things started to get worse day by day and she had been bedridden since about Thanksgiving. It has been an especially hard time for my grandpa because he took care of her everyday since she became ill. So to give my grandpa a break I would go up to his house a few nights a week and spend time with my grandma so he could get out of the house and visit his friends and have some free time.

One night about three weeks ago I took a box of pennies up to his house to keep myself busy while my grandma slept and my grandpa went out. He always knew I CRHed ever since I started back in 2007 but he never seemed too interested until he came home that night and saw the Wheaties I found (14 in that box) and started asking questions. (He has always been somewhat of a casual coin collector but he didn't go out of his way to find old coins.) The next week I got two boxes of pennies and took them to his house to see if he wanted to go through them with me, and he did. Between the two boxes we got 25 Wheaties. Same thing happened the next week - got two penny boxes - and we found 25 Wheaties again but this time a little surprise, a 1898 Indian Head! His face lit up and he was amazed that you could still find Indian Head pennies in circulation. We got two penny boxes the next week after that. We searched the first one Monday night and got 11 Wheaties. But on Tuesday night we were going to do the second box and my grandma passed away that night shortly before we were going to search the second one. All of us in the family knew it was coming but that still didn't make it any easier.

We put off the second box for a few days and my grandpa called me up and wanted to search through it. It was probably a way to take his mind off of everything that had happened. We got 19 Wheaties from that box, which is my record for number of Wheaties in a box! :thumbsup:

On Christmas, my aunt got my grandpa and I a present - a box of pennies! About half way through that box my grandpa said "You're not going to believe what I have in my hand." He opened up his hand and it was a 1903 Indian Head! He was just smiling from ear to ear which was great to see him do after losing his wife a few days earlier.

Well anyway...this post is getting kinda long so I'll wrap it up. Since I started CRHing pennies with my grandpa a few weeks ago we have found 112 Wheaties and 2 Indian Heads (Pictured below). As far as the pattern I mentioned in the title, all boxes we got were Brinks boxes from the same bank branch. In each box we found at least 3 BU shiny Wheaties all dated either 1953-D or 1955-D. Also we got three free buffets from Cici's pizza (also pictured below). With all those BU Wheaties, Cici's free buffets and 2 Indian Heads I started to suspect a pattern with the boxes. Is it possible we are getting someone's collection?

Happy Hunting and Happy Holidays

-Codes

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 477
Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear that your grandmother passed. I'd keep buying from that bank. It does seem odd that you've gotten two IHs and that many wheat/box. I think around here the average is about 8 wheats/box.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I did 327 boxes this year.

And I got one INdian.

So your luck has been phenomenol. Good job.

Keep at it while the fire is hot. If it was someone's collection there may be more. And when they are gone, it will dry up. So get all you can now, to get the others that may be out there. :-)

And condolences to you and your grandpa about your grandmom.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
sorry to hear about your loss. keep up with the boxes, you're doing real good with the IH's

Bon Bon

Nov 26, 2006
texas
I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother. It is so nice you and your grandfather have this hobby to share and enjoy.

sneak

Oct 24, 2007
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for your loss. :(

It sounds like this was a good time to get your grandfather interested in a new hobby.

Congrats on your finds so far! :thumbsup:

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
sorry for your loss. i wish my grandparents were still around. i thought about my grandmother alot this christmas season. it's good that you and your grandfather can share this hobby. it should give you time to talk too.
nice finds on the indians. i have found some of those cici's pizza pennies too. good luck to you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread