November Totals + An Indian Comes and Visits! (1913-S type one!!!)

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Well, here are my November totals.

Out of $120 in nickels, I found...

17 pre 1960 Jefferson nickels.

1 war nickel (1945-S)

1963 proof nickel; some steps still visible

And, I found my first buffalo nickel today! It's dateless though. :'(

I also searched through $40 in pennies and I found...

About 550 coppers

7 wheaties (oldest one is a 1942)

3 or 4 2009 pennies (Found my first pro.life penny)

1981 gold colored/plated penny

A plastic play-money penny

Here's a pic of the buffalo

Attachments

• Buffalo Nickel OBVERSE.jpg
    Buffalo Nickel OBVERSE.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 518
  • Buffalo Nickel REVERSE.jpg
    Buffalo Nickel REVERSE.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 514
Upvote 0

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Re: November Totals + An Indian Comes and Visits!

If I remember correctly, the back of that Buffalo looks like the raised mound variety which I think makes it a 1913 Type 1. If that's an 'S' mintmark on the back, that makes your nickel worth $15 or more I'd say even with the slick date.

If it were mine, I'd use 'Nic-a-date' to restore the date. You could also restore the mint mark just a bit so it's clear. I think the restored dates add a little more to your collection than a slick nickel does.

Good finds!

JasonB

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find over there in Japan. Man it has to be hard to CRH for US coins in a foreign country.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Big CONGRATULATIONS on that buffalo!!!! :hello2: I remember how happy I was when I found my first. I agree on the Type 1. I don't have one of those yet.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250

AGCoinHunter said:
Nice find over there in Japan. Man it has to be hard to CRH for US coins in a foreign country.

It's not that it's hard, it's just that I don't get to search large quantities and dumping is a pain. The next American bank is about 15 miles away! Plus, I don't have a car, so I have to take the train, and than walk, carrying 50 pounds of coins on my back. I plan on visiting my aunt in L.A. for the summer, just so I can CRH.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JasonB said:
If it were mine, I'd use 'Nic-a-date' to restore the date. You could also restore the mint mark just a bit so it's clear. I think the restored dates add a little more to your collection than a slick nickel does.

I would have to disagree with this. You can tell from the raised mound what the date is, and you can clearly see the mintmark on back. Using the nic-a-date would erode the value much further than from its current wear state. Nic-a-date should ONLY be used if you want to find out what the date and mintmark is.

mebegene

Greenie
Nov 7, 2009
1864 L Indian Head in VF condition...paid .01 and the lady at the coin show offered $120.00 but I'm seeing coins on display about the same condition that sellers are asking $200.00 for. :headbang: Sorry, never could figure how to photograph the coin. Might need a microscope to see the L (for Longacre the designer).

Mebe

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
mebegene said:
1864 L Indian Head in VF condition...paid .01 and the lady at the coin show offered $120.00 but I'm seeing coins on display about the same condition that sellers are asking $200.00 for. :headbang: Sorry, never could figure how to photograph the coin. Might need a microscope to see the L (for Longacre the designer).

Mebe

ok...

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
coincrazed said:
HOLY FREAK! I found a type 2 last year on the end of a roll in Las Vegas! Congrats my man! Freakingdaggon, you did well! - coincrazed
u try so hard to just avoid cursing.....odd...its weird when u cuse so much in a sentence, w/o actually cusing, sounds like an elephant, when i read it aloud :laughing9:

none the less, cheese, nice scores for this month!!! i agree, dont nicadate!!!
keep it up and hh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread