Now that Canada has begun phasing out the Penny...

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
(I don't know if this topic has been brought up before so please excuse me if it was, but I couldn't find it using the search function)

...how long do you think it'll be before we starting seeing the collectibility and/or value of the older pennies increase?

I always liked finding them in my Lincoln rolls & in my loose change just because they were different.

From the Royal Canadian Mint:
Phasing out the penny

In Economic Action Plan 2012, the Government announced it would phase out the penny from Canada's coinage system. The decision to phase out the penny was due to its excessive and rising cost of production relative to face value, the increased accumulation of pennies by Canadians in their households, environmental considerations, and the significant handling costs the penny imposes on retailers, financial institutions and the economy in general.

The estimated savings for taxpayers from phasing out the penny is $11 million a year.

The cent will remain Canada's smallest unit for pricing goods and services. This will have no impact on payments made by cheque or electronic transactions—only cash transactions will be affected. Moreover, pennies can still be used in cash transactions indefinitely with businesses that choose to accept them.

Important Dates
To help consumers, businesses, charities and financial institutions to plan, a transition date of February 4, 2013 has been set after which the Royal Canadian Mint will no longer distribute pennies.

On this date, businesses will be encouraged to begin rounding cash transactions.

Rounding Guidelines
As pennies exit circulation, cash payments or transactions only will need to be rounded, either up or down, to the nearest five-cent increment.

The Government of Canada will be adopting a rounding guideline that has been used successfully by other countries for its cash transactions with the public.

Under this guideline, when pennies are not available, cash transactions will be rounded in a fair and transparent manner

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a little on the mint state stuff years down the road, but can't see it happening on the circulated pennies. If they have no numismatic value now, I can't imagine they will gain. And even if they do have some type of market we're probably talking a whole lot of years for a very little amount of increase. I certainly won't be saving any.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions