πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's one big horseshoe!

Hello Friends, :hello:

Got out for 3 hours this afternoon to Lakeview Park here in Oshawa, ON for what will probably one of my last hunts before the snow fly's. :'( I'm not like Heavymetalnut (Dave) who 'likes' to hunt in the snow with freezing hands! :laughing7: The park has been very good to me this year and it has at least 8 other detectorists hunting it on a regular basis! :o This year so far I've found here a 1917 Walker Half Dollar, a 1918 Silver 'Fishscale' Dime, a Silver Mobius Loop, a 1950's Silver 'clip-on' Earring, a 1957 Silver Quarter and somewhere in the area of $50+ in lost change! Lakeview Park is certainly one of the largest and most well used public parks outside the GTA (Great Toronto Area).

I decided to hunt in the same general area that I found the 1950's Silver 'clip-on' Earring in, as there's still a lot of ground left to cover. I decided to dig any signal that was unusually strong in any range, just to see what it was. This probably helped me because I found a lot of lost change, $4.20 to be exact . . . then I found 'the shoe'! At first I wasn't even going to dig it as it didn't have the usual sound of high old iron, but it was a very strong signal and it was 6" down, so I knew it must be old & big! This thing measures 7" wide, by 8" tall, this must of been one big horse. :laughing7: I took a picture of it for comparison next to an average size horse shoe I found on a farm in April.

Thanks for looking and I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving next weekend! :thumbsup:
Dave

Attachments

• Lakeview Park 01.jpg
    Lakeview Park 01.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Lakeview Park 02.jpg
    Lakeview Park 02.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,169
  • Lakeview Park 03.jpg
    Lakeview Park 03.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,165
  • Lakeview Park 001.jpg
    Lakeview Park 001.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,163
  • Lakeview Park 002.jpg
    Lakeview Park 002.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,176
  • Lakeview Park 003.jpg
    Lakeview Park 003.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,162
  • Lakeview Park 005.jpg
    Lakeview Park 005.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,296
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Now that's one big horseshoe!

Westfront said:
That is what You can call HORSESHOE! I guess its the new star in Your collection! Hope it brings You BIG luck on Your next hunts!

Thanks very much for your post Westfront! :icon_thumright:
I've just finished soaking it in vinegar, washing it, drying it and coating it in a metal preservative! ;D
It now hangs proudly in my workshop next to the first one that I found back in March! :laughing7:

Here's to hoping that they both bring me good luck tomorrow at the new park! :thumbsup:
Dave

steelheadwill said:
Looks Great!
Go git em Dave :thumbsup:

Thanks Herbie, I hope you and Laurie have a relaxing Thanksgiving weekend! :icon_thumright:
Dave

franking said:
Nice finds Dave. Great looking park there. Glad to see your getting out there before the snow whips in...
Maybe we have a few more weeks before that happens. Have a great weekend & Happy Tday 2u...

Thanks very much for your post franking, it's nice to hear from you again! :hello:
Hope your finding some new treasure sights to hunt in your area too! :icon_thumright:
Have a nice Thanksgiving this weekend, :occasion14:
Dave

Attachments

• Horseshoes 002.jpg
    Horseshoes 002.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 732
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ModernMiner said:
baywalker said:
Budweiser is looking for that :laughing7:

Jonnie

LOL. :laughing9:

Dave,
That looks like a lot of area to cover. :o No wonder you are still finding things on that pounded spot. :thumbsup:
Sorry to hear your season is coming to an end. I'll miss seeing your posts for a while. :-\
You have a Happy Thanksgiving too,
Doug

Thanks for your compliment in regard to my posts Doug. I try to make each post interesting with lots of pictures and a background history of the site if I can find any. Up here we really don't have to worry too much about protecting the secrecy of our sites yet. I plan on getting out tomorrow if I can, I've been fighting an eye infection since Sunday and it keeps giving me headaches! :icon_scratch:

Hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving Doug,
Dave

deathhare said:
Its big for a reason....ever heard of the game Horseshoes?

Funny guy!!! :laughing9: :thumbsup:

kuger said:
deathhare said:
Its big for a reason....ever heard of the game Horseshoes?
Its not a Game shoe,back in the day Draft horses were the Mac trucks,this is from one.You should see the size of em on the logging/mining roads out here

I completely agree kuger! ;D The property this park now sits on had been farmed for 150+ years by some of the original settlers of the city I live in! :icon_thumright:

HISPAN said:
If you do not like snow ... you travel to Spain. :laughing9:

Great advice H! :thumbsup:
I here your topless beaches are pretty amazing too! :laughing7:

Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
gold plate that horseshoe :laughing7: and get a RUN DMC chain to hang it on :headbang:

Dave you took the words right out of my mouth man! :o
What do you think my wife's getting for a Christmas present this year! :laughing9:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

johnnyblaze said:
That must of been a worker for sure :icon_thumleft:

Nice recoveries

Blaze

Thanks Johnny, you've been doing well lately yourself man! :notworthy:
Dave

hammered said:
HISPAN said:
If you do not like snow ... you travel to Spain. :laughing9:

Got my ticket, waiting at the gate :laughing7:.
Seriously , that's a big shoe, I've found a few, some dating back to 1600's. But thats a nice one :thumbsup:, don't chuck it

Cheers Ian! :icon_thumright:
I'd never throw out a good luck charm as large as this!
I can only dream of finding a shoe from the 1700's let alone the 1600's! :laughing7:
Thanks for your post mate, :occasion14:
Dave

Lanny in AB said:
Cool find on that work-horse shoe!

All the best,

Lanny

Thanks for your post Lanny! :hello:
Hope you're finding some cool relics in Alberta! :icon_thumright:
I've been to your beautiful province a number of times, I love camping in Banff! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

deano

Oct 25, 2008
sioux city ,iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus 2, Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 900, Nokta Makro Legend, Nokta Makro Simplex

If you hang it somewhere make sure you hang it with the open end up, they say if you hang it upside down you will lose your luck and that thing will hold alot of luck. Old superstition. Cool find!!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

deano said:
If you hang it somewhere make sure you hang it with the open end up, they say if you hang it upside down you will lose your luck and that thing will hold alot of luck. Old superstition. Cool find!!

When I was a kid I asked my grandfather, "why do you have that horseshoe hanging above the door?"
I remember him telling me the exact same thing! :icon_thumright: Because if you hang it the other way round the luck will run out! :laughing7:

Thanks buddy, have a great Thanksgiving!
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread