Nox 800 Scores 1754 George II Half Penny

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today during my fourth session with the new Nox 800 in the field I scored a well-worn 1754 KGII Half Penny. It's so difficult for me to find these as the homesteads in my area were sparse and they were most likely operating on the cash-starved barter\ledger system. I found a 1737 version of this coin last fall and it was worn near slick. I have two more worn completely blank. What troubles me is that it displayed a 20 on the screen, right where a lot of square iron nail blobs register. I've been passing over a lot of 15 - 20 signals because the nails are tiring me out.

The small tombac impressed me because the Nox pulled it up from at least 10" depth. It's made me rethink my search areas. My White's Spectra V3i rarely has given me targets much beyond 6" and 4" is seemingly the sweet spot. But I had a feeling I was missing depth. In all fairness I have been sticking to stock program settings.

Also found three pieces of what was most likely an ox driven plow. And the object in my hand is a chisel, my first tool from this era. I kept this example of the square nail because it is machine cut and most likely British manufacture. Most of the nails and spikes I see are hand-forged by blacksmiths, the exception being a nearby known 1770 house ruins which used the same nail type. Also found another male end door frame strap hinge, have found several of these.

tres85.jpg tres86.jpg tres87.jpg

Upvote 11

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool chiselI love the half penny thats stillon my bucket list. The nox is a fun machine and it loves coins for sure.....Well done...Tommy

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting the old Colonial sites is the best place to be - congrats !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread